Communicate Citect 2016 with Siemens S7 1500 with S7TCP driver

Has this been working before, or is it the first time for you with Citect and S7-1500 ?
If this the first time, then I can imagine a few things that you must be aware of.

I doubt that Citect can read S7-1500 addresses symbolically (I might be wrong).
If I am correct, then you must setup each tag with absolute address access.
And, the accessed variables in S7-1500 must be set to non-optimized.
And, PUT/GET access must be enabled on the S7-1500 - default is not enabled.

When setting up the connection, it is basically the same as for S7-300, except that the rack/slot which was always 0/2 in S7-300 is always 0/1 in S7-1500.

If the S7-1500 has enabled PUT/GET, and the tags are accessed with absolute addresses, then it is exactly as for an S7-300 - except for the rack/slot.
So even legacy software that knows nothing about S7-1500 should work as long as it did work with S7-300.

edit: I studied the help pages, and it seems that for S7-1500 the only thing you must specify is the IP address. So the rack/slot is probably implied for S7-1500.
Any help pages for the setup of the tags ?

Hi JesperMP,

No. This is the first time working with it. PUT/FET option is enabled. When you say basically it is same as S7-300, you mean use S7NT driver? I know with S7-300 series you can not access the it directly. So, you have to use middleware like SImatic Net or PSDirect software to talk to S7-300 CPU. So DO I need to configure any middleman software to configure it.

One more thing Most of the DBs I have are optimized DBs.

Thank you.

The whole point of the S7TCP driver is to read/write addresses symbolically. I managed to get the older PSDIRECT driver working with the S7-1500 using PLCSIM Advanced V2.0 SP1 (originally it worked with S7-300), and in this case I had to set to non-optimized using absolute addresses.

Hi sigmadelta,

Do I have to use PSDirect as middleman to use S7TCP driver? At this point I have not used any other software(Simatic Net or PSDirect) configuration to talk to S7-1500 PLC.

If I to use PSDirect then I have to use absolute addresses, is it?

Thank you.

I managed to get the older PSDIRECT driver working with the S7-1500 using PLCSIM Advanced V2.0 SP1 (originally it worked with S7-300)

Hi sigmadelta,

How you simulated using PLCSIM? Maybe I can try that and see if it is working. Then I at least know that driver is working.

Thank you.

So it transcends that you must use absolute addressing. That is important to know.
That means at the same time, no optimized DBs !!

ZamkuD said:
When you say basically it is same as S7-300, you mean use S7NT driver?
No, I have no experience with Citect (except 20 years ago, and that was with an AB PLC).
What I say is that any driver that works with S7-300 will work with S7-1500, when you take the into account that PUT/GET must be enabled, absolute addresses, no optimized DBs, and rack/slot = 0/1.

ZamkuD said:
So, you have to use middleware like SImatic Net or PSDirect software to talk to S7-300 CPU. So DO I need to configure any middleman software to configure it.
I didnt say anything about that. But I do know that Citect supports various alternative ways to communicate with Siemens, amongst these are Simatic Net (S7API driver) or OPC.
If you use Simatic Net, I am pretty certain that you can get symbolic access, incl. optimised DBs.

Wow, that is confusing. The "direct" driver is actually not direct but requires a middleman.

There is no middleman... if the middleman's name is "Simatic Net".

How you simulated using PLCSIM? Maybe I can try that and see if it is working. Then I at least know that driver is working.

I used PSDIRECT, not S7TCP, just to be clear. I tested it both with PLCSIM Advanced and PLCSIM V5.4 + NetToPlcsim. Warning: Citect and PLCSIM/NetToPlcsim must be on separate computers or separate virtual machines.

Hi,

Thank you everyone for you help. Just to update everyone. I was able to get access tags form S7-1500 PLC. Strange thing is I have not changed anything to the configuration IO Device. It is same as I have uploaded the images for the IO configuration. Only thing I did is updated the S7TCP driver to release 1.11.00. For some reason IO server was getting hung up after running the runtime and IO server was getting stopped. After updating to release 1.11.00 IO server is no longer getting hung up.

I still have the issue with Driver warning! I have purchased license for S7TCP driver and Floating license manager shows that license is permanent but still I am getting driver warning and S7TCP driver stop communicating to PLC but I do not have any issue with Rockwell PLC as I have some screen which is communicating to Rockwell PLC.

PSDirect

dear sigmadelta, can u share link for download psdirect driver? i want to connect s71200 to citect. but until now i can't found the driver :(