backup configuration on devicenet

sirjonesy

hi there
if i have a slc 5/05 set up with 3 devicenet scanners and want to upload a backup file of the networks in rsnetwork. can you browse so all 3 scanners and their modules appear? or is it 3 seperate files that needs to be saved.

I use this manual

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um655_-en-p.pdf

I use a ethernet cable and do a setup as they do from page 65. I made an upload of the scanner and choosed slot 12 since one of the scanners had that position in the rack. But only the scanner slot 12 was visible, the modules in the scanners scanlist did not appear on the node. (figure I need to make 3 files, since they are not a part of the same chain).

I have limited experience with devicenet, since its so old that we only heard little about it in school.

I have limited experience with devicenet, since its so old that we only heard little about it in school.

I think you meant, you are so young and have little experience, hence why you no little about Devicenet.:ROFLMAO:

A individual DeviceNet file is made for each scanner card, in RSNetworx the path tree will come up like in RSLINX, you then need to define the path to one scanner at a time.
It needs to do a scan before you will see all the Devicenet modules attached to the scanner.
With luck Geospark might do you a tutorial.

Last edited:
Duckman...you making work for me?...

sirjonesy said:
...if i have a slc 5/05 set up with 3 devicenet scanners and want to upload a backup file of the networks in rsnetwork. can you browse so all 3 scanners and their modules appear?...

No, you cannot browse them all at once. As these are typically isolated DeviceNet networks, you will have to browse to each network separately and perform a backup.

sirjonesy said:
...or is it 3 seperate files that needs to be saved...

Yes, a separate DeviceNet (DNT) file would be saved for each of the networks.

sirjonesy said:
...I use this manual

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um655_-en-p.pdf

I use a ethernet cable and do a setup as they do from page 65. I made an upload of the scanner and choosed slot 12 since one of the scanners had that position in the rack. But only the scanner slot 12 was visible, the modules in the scanners scanlist did not appear on the node. (figure I need to make 3 files, since they are not a part of the same chain).

Did you start at the beginning of Chapter 5 - Communicating with the DeviceNet Network from Another Network (Page 63)?

Or did you skip straight to Page 65 - Communicating with the DeviceNet Network via an Ethernet Network?

Have you read and implemented the changes required on Page 64? -

System Requirements

To use the pass-through feature, you must have RSLinx software, version 2.10 or later, and a 1747-SDN module at firmware revision 4.015 or later.

IMPORTANT To enable pass-through access with a SLC 500 processor, you must use RSLogix 500 software to configure the M0 and M1 files associated with the 1747-SDN module with a length of 395 words. You can access the M file configuration by launching I/O Configuration within RSLogix 500 software, and then selecting the 1747-SDN module. The SLC 500 processor must be placed in Run mode at least once since its last power cycle for 1747-SDN pass-through transactions to succeed.

If you have not configured the M files in the processor then the pass-thru is not going to work properly. To configure these files you would refer to Appendix B - Configuring the M0/M1 Files by Using RSLogix 500 Software (Page 121).

If you know, or can find out, please list the hardware Series (A, B, C, etc.) and firmware revision (4.015, 6.002, 8.002, etc.) of the 3 x 1747-SDN scanner modules.

Example: 1747-SDN Series C Revision 8.002

Which OS are you using?

Which version of RSLinx Classic?

Which version of RSNetWorx for DeviceNet?

If you are happy that you have carried out all the necessary steps to configure pass-thru, then also make sure you have placed the processor in run Mode at least once since updating the M files.

The fact that you can only browse to the scanner modules themselves suggests the M files have not been enlarged to support pass-thru.

Regards,
George

sorry for the late answer.
I found out that we had 3 seperate backup files for the network in a older archive. but anyways I would still like to know how to make a backup file in case I would need to do so.

im for now running windows 7, but in the future they want us to upgrade to windows 10.

the M0 and M1 in the slc 5/05 processor is set at 395

the rslinx software is version 3.90

the rsnetworx for devicenet is 24.00.00m(cpr 9 sr 7.1)

I can see in backup file that its 1747-SDN/B revision 6.002 scanners, but is there a way to find out of that other than taking them out of the rack?

I can see that the machines builders have made a node for a 1770-KFD in one of the scanners. The in/output list is set for slave mode in that one and another one of the other scanners. think one of those are connectet to a KUKA robot for getting data exchange.

The reason I was at the equipment in the first place was that the scanner connected to two festo CP-Fb11e a pnoz multi and two 1794 device flex I/O was faulted. in the manual it stated that is was wiring problem/commucation loss etc. and I found out that it was data from the two festo modules that didn't come in by looking at datatabel in the plcprogram all the other modules was setting values just fine. I took communikation plug for the two festo modules, so it stopped blinking red and then I powered down the cell and I could start the machine up again, but i believe that it was pure luck. the operator mentioned that the cell was a pain in the *** to start up again if they dont close it down correctly or take the emergency stop. with my little knowledge I believe its because the power perhaps is cut to the festo modules in a wrong way. think it was mentioned at school that you never ever should cut power to a devicenet if data is transfered?