RS Logix 5000 and FactoryTalk View-Using a Numeric Input Enable and Timer ?

Cydog

Good Afternoon ,

I have an older Panelview Plus and do not have the application . I'm in the process of re-doing the HMI application from scratch . I took notice that they have several timers in this RS Logix 5000 software working with a Numeric Input Enable ( In FactoryTalk View ) . Of course the time base in RS Logix 5000 is .001. So 60,000 would be 60 seconds.

The problem that I'm having is , with the previous HMI and it's Numeric Input Enable , they can type in 60 for 60 seconds , and it changes to 60,000.
They type just 62 and the timer changes to 62,000 , etc.

With what I have set up with my Numeric Input Enable I need to enter 60,000 fot the timer to change to 60,000 , etc.

What do you think they did different ? RTO " CIP_Cycle_1 " is just the Preset for that RTO Timer . It is not a modified tag or anything like that .

Thanks so much in advance ,

Good Afternoon ,

I have an older Panelview Plus and do not have the application . I'm in the process of re-doing the HMI application from scratch . I took notice that they have several timers in this RS Logix 5000 software working with a Numeric Input Enable ( In FactoryTalk View ) . Of course the time base in RS Logix 5000 is .001. So 60,000 would be 60 seconds.

The problem that I'm having is , with the previous HMI and it's Numeric Input Enable , they can type in 60 for 60 seconds , and it changes to 60,000.
They type just 62 and the timer changes to 62,000 , etc.

With what I have set up with my Numeric Input Enable I need to enter 60,000 fot the timer to change to 60,000 , etc.

What do you think they did different ? RTO " CIP_Cycle_1 " is just the Preset for that RTO Timer . It is not a modified tag or anything like that .

Thanks so much in advance ,

I may not fully understand your question, but I've done quite a few HMI's with FTV and RS5000 and I just let the operator enter minutes or seconds in the numerical keypad on the HMI and then do the math in logic to get it into the timer preset, and then reverse the math (using .ACC and so forth) to show minutes or seconds remaining on the HMI. Worked real well. Hope this helps.

Under the numerical input enable properties can't you put /1000 after the value tag? There's a setting that says "optional exp" which might be where you can divide the entered value by 1000 in the HMI before it sends the value to the plc. I do agree that doing it in the plc is better.

Under the numerical input enable properties can't you put /1000 after the value tag? There's a setting that says "optional exp" which might be where you can divide the entered value by 1000 in the HMI before it sends the value to the plc. I do agree that doing it in the plc is better.

Could be. I just assigned the tags in connection and set up how many decimals I needed in the NI in the HMI. Most of the programs I did the process was in minutes, like minutes on time, minutes off time (for 2 different processes) and time remaining. So the minutes were basically whole numbers. The plant didn't want tenths of a minute on the display.

In Numeric Input Enable Properties>Connections tab just use the "Optional Exp" and the expression ? * 10000
The "?" character is the placeholder for the value the operator entered as setpoint.
This calculated expression value will be what is written to the PLC tag.

This is what I did in Optional Exp.......

{::[Line 5 Oiler]Program:MainProgram.CIP_Cycle1.PRE}?=10000

But I get this in the Check Syntax......

"Error at line 1, column 54:
Unexpected characters at end of expression."

What could I be doing wrong , except everything :)
Do I still use "Value" in connections ?

This is what I did in Optional Exp.......

{::[Line 5 Oiler]Program:MainProgram.CIP_Cycle1.PRE}?=10000

But I get this in the Check Syntax......

"Error at line 1, column 54:
Unexpected characters at end of expression."

What could I be doing wrong , except everything :)
Do I still use "Value" in connections ?

All you need to enter in the Optional Exp is:

? * 10000

This will take the entered Value and multiply it by 10000
Hope that is clear enough

Your right . Thanks so much. How do you guys figure that stuff out ? I guess it is your computer science background ?

Your right . Thanks so much. How do you guys figure that stuff out ? I guess it is your computer science background ?

That... and I clicked the HELP button and reviewed the RA help file associated with the element.
But most of the time Rockwell's help files are confusing or down right NOT helpful and THAT is why this Great Forum exists... :site: