Output to turn on a Input

Is this a rhetorical question, a homework question, or a question about integrating separate PLC control systems ?

Some PLC outputs have enough "leakage" in their circuitry that they will turn on the input point of a directly-connected PLC input circuit. This is especially true with 120V AC triac circuits.

The more information you can provide about your application or question, the better the quality of advice you will receive on this Forum.

I have seen this done as a watchdog to insure remote I/O is working.

Just one possible reason.

You mean to turn on like a prox switch or something? I don't get the strategy behind this method.

I have seen this done as a watchdog to insure remote I/O is working.

Just one possible reason.

This seems like a good idea, but if you are using remote ethernet i/o, will you not have a tag for communication itself that can be used to check this?

I guess you could use it to turn on prox switches or items using low current, would this actually save $$$ on power bill? This way, you are only turning on these devices when you actually need them to work.

Why you ask this interesting question at end of day sir, now I will be thinking of nothing else but this question.

Sorry i was not complete with description. I have a system that gets input from a remote card to lock out the pendant so that stuff cannot be changed if the input is on system is locked. I thought about using a button on a HMI to turn this off or on hence using the output to turn on the input.

What platform are you using?

You will most likely need to use parallel logic where physical IO is being referenced. Just make sure what you are trying to do will be safe, it sounds like you want to override and input through a HMI.

On Safety Systems, we used to use Standard outputs to fire double pole relay. We used one pole for the field device and one pole for feedback into the PLC. So we would know if a relay failed to turn off, we would then kill power to the output card, killing all the outputs and tripping the system.