New HMI for old Klockner Moeller PS316 PLC

KAMRAN215

There is an old Klockner Moeller PS316 PLC (CPU-W: EBE 223.1 -5) in a machine with electronic board as a text HMI (by using RS232 to RS485 converter). This HMI(Electronic Panel) is SYNTEC-Synatronic.
I'm going to replace this HMI by a new one, but I do't have the program of the PLC and HMI.
My question is:
1- Is there a touch screen HMI that can be connected to this PLC easily?
2- How can I find the addresses of those PLC flags that used in HMI?

Thanks, Kamran

Many of the XV touch screens from Micro Innovation can connect to this PLC. Micro Innovation and Moeller have been partners for a long time.

Much harder will be finding out the addresses in the PLC. There is no way to upload the program from these PLCs. Some have posted in the past that they can reverse engineer a program from the binary file you can upload for a cost but I have not explored this.

Perhaps you can work if from the side of the existing display. Can you get that information?

Communications may be trial and error as well. There are at least 2 possible communciation protocols which might have been used. RS232 to the programming port or RS485 to the Suconet port. You will have to figure this out as well and may have to try different baud rates etc. to make it work.

If this were a simple system, I'd consider replacing everything and writing the program over and use modern components.

OK, Thank you all.

I found that DELTA and Sütron have HMI that can communicate to PS3 (not Micro Innovation).
Now I need to found the addresses of memory in HMI, or Upload the PLC program maybe by reverse engineering.
Have any body did this reverse engineering successfully?

Thanks.... Kamran

I think your efforts will be futile.
Without access to the PLC program or the HMI program, it will be a huge guesswork as to the functionality. And how to know which PLC memory addresses are used ?
And, even if you were succesful, you would have a system based on obsolete components.
I aggree with Norman, that it would be better to write completely new PLC and HMI programs.

OK, Thank you all.

I found that DELTA and Sütron have HMI that can communicate to PS3 (not Micro Innovation).
Now I need to found the addresses of memory in HMI, or Upload the PLC program maybe by reverse engineering.
Have any body did this reverse engineering successfully?

Thanks.... Kamran

My Micro Innovation suggestion was based on looking in the HMI software called Galileo and being able to pick the Moeller PS3x6 as a plc type. The software did show that this requied an MPB1 or MPB2 communications board...

But, again, without either program, you're better off just re-doing the application...

Manual for the 4 series in the downloads section, its very similar to the 3 series moeller and most instructions are the same.