Panelview 900

zqew05

Water got into the backside of my Panelview 900 and it is fried. Another facility offered their brand-new Panelview but it has a crack on the side of the screen when the worker dropped it. It is the only replacement we can lay our hands on (w/out spending money) so I want to be sure it is OK: Can they remove the backside chassis to replace the burned out one? I'm on medical leave but I can walk them thru the steps over the phone
THANKS

I believe there are only 4 screws that hold the PanelView to the cabinet. Since the old one is burned-out what do have to lose in trying the one with the cracked screen? Load the program in and try all the touch cells.

Unfortunately, the corner they broke is where one of the screws are located. We want to keep it sealed because it is outdoors and the screen side is exposed to the weather

The panelview is on the engine itself, which is upsstairs. The main monitor/engine control display is downstairs inside the Load Center building. It was designed that way and because of our corporate decision making process, it will stay that way. I will just have to do my job as a maintenance tech to check its weathertight integrity. Unfortunately, I'm medical restriction and am not in the facility. They described it to me that it seems someone removed it while we were on our off hitch, thereby breaking the sealant, then reinstalled without properly resealing it from the weather. I use the Panelview to do my daily checks on my engine, PV also has limited control functions for my maintenance and troubleshooting chores. It saves my old aching body from climbing up and down those long stairs.

Roger,

Concerning your description of enclosure standards, it looks like it technically meets that rule, OEM must have done their homework. It does not mean I like theie design.

Hey Z,

I believe that model has 'standoffs' for the display, with a ribbon cable connecting to the panel for electrical. Usually, 4 screws on standoffs, then unplug the ribbon cable, voila, the whole display will come out, leaving you the 'guts' on the mount.

As for sealing, I'm sure AB wouldn't be thrilled about this, but have found that a bit of silicone run along the outside of the display mount works pretty good. We have tried several options, rubber gaskets, etc... but they deteriorate over time. Silicone, RTV preferred, seems to work the best. If done right, you'll hardly even notice it there, but if done by some hamfisted tech, may have to apply every so often... ;)

Hope this helps.

Hoot

We've got more than a few 900's in our plant. I've taken the unit apart to troubleshoot a dead unit a couple of times. The power supply is proably blown. You can remove it from the main board with a couple of screws. We've swapped out the power supplies to test a dead unit when we've found a blown fuse that is soldered onto the power supply. I would try check for that first before swapping the boards. A-B also has a price for repairing the power supply that is a lot better than the cost to repair the whole unit though you have to send the whole unit in to get the power supply fixed.