problems with 1394 gmc digital servo controller

euipfacil

I'm new at this but anyway, I have a 1394 Gmc digital controller set up to cut rubber extrusion. Problem; when the count reaches 1999 it faults the controller and I must restart. If I set it below 1999 everything is fine. I am told that axis zero is set to 1999 max and I need to change that to 3999. My controller is a 1394CSJT05-L series C. I need to know what software to buy to get online so I can change this value, I am told GML commander will work but virtually obsolete. Will RSLOGIX 5000 communicate with this drive?

Thanks for any help I'm lost and in China!
LR

Be advised, that unless you have a copy of the original GLM Commander source code that was used to download to the drive, simply getting a copy of GML Commander will not help you in any way. GML Commander needs the original source code in order to see the program.
This was my experience on a site where I had 80 axis of 1394 active.
This was a real pain, in that it made maintaining the system difficult, without the source files, which of course, I didn't have either.

What jdbrandt says is correct for monitoring user variables or for modifying code.

But you can monitor system and axes status variables.

If the value you need to modify is part of the axis configuration, then you may be able to upload the settings and download them with your changes, even without the original code.

It is something best left to a person with a great deal of experience with your particular system or someone well versed in GML and the 1394 system.

Definitely search for a copy of the .gml file with at least the axis configurations and user variable names, as this will save you a tremendous amount of time.

Paul

Thanks for all of the replies, I have been on a bad slow internet connection so haven't been able to respond. I have someone sending me the software and the program. I am not experienced with this but do have a great deal of experience with AB ladder logic. So before it arrives I will do some studying and may need more advise.

Thanks again,

LR

Axis zero is the scaled pulse count from the encoder. I was told in teh beginning that I could scale this setting using the panel view. I tried but was not able to get it to cut but a little longer. Without seeing the program I was only shooting from the hip and didn't really know what to change. I changed the scaling to .5 thinking this would split the pulse count by half and I could change the scale of the servo length value to get the length input correct. As it reads on the description in the panel view 1 pulse per 1MM. I may have went the wrong way by changing to .5 for scaling. Any thoughts?

GML is completely different than ladder logic, but don't let that intimidate you, just keep that it mind as you learn a "new animal"

Do you have electrical draings of the system?

How is the panelview connected?

Is the value displayed in engineering units (mm)? If so, you should be able to use ratio math to figure out the correct setting based on the feed length you are getting versus the feed length you asked for. I would try that first.

1 pulse per mm does not seem like very good resolution, but I don't know your application or its tolerances. Most systems I worked with had many more pulses (hundreds or more) per mm.

When you get the software and cable, be sure to check how the serial port is configured before connecting.

Make sure you shut down RSLinx if you have it on the same PC you will be using to connect.

IIRC the serial port on a 1394 is on the bottom of the sytem module, kinda hidden.

When you said "Problem; when the count reaches 1999 it faults the controller", do you mean that the system module shows a fault?

Also, download some manuals from ab.com and have them on hand:

GML Commander Reference Manual
1394 Digital AC Multi-Axis Motion Control

There are some others in the literature library that may also be useful.

What happens is the panel view shows that it has lost connection with the servo (node not found). it's like it reaches the limit and thinks it has lost connection. It is connected via DH 485. the servo is a stand alone not connected to a plc, it only reads the encoder from the conveyor then sycronizes the speed of the cutter so it can move to a position cut and return. I think the servo is reaching this magical 1999 count and resetting itself to zero causing failure.