Different RSlinx drivers

TimeFluxCap

Hi all, question here about different RSlinx drivers running at the same time.

Here goes the story.

Have four different drivers configured on a laptop as follows

AB_DF1 DH+ Sta0 Com2 Running
AB_KT-1 DH+ Sta2 Socket2 Running
AB_MASTR-1 DF1 Sta1 Com1 Running
AB_PIC-1 DH485 Sta0 Com2 Stopped

These drivers have been pre-configured and all setup so in the heat of battle you dont have to waste time doing so. Problem is, if I want to use my PIC box and use the AB_PIC-1 driver, RSlinx tells me to stop the other driver using com2. How do I do this? The way I do it at the moment is to delete that driver. I would think there is an easier way.

Regards

TFC

If you go to Communications, Configure Drivers, in RSLinx, highlight the driver you want to stop running and then hit the stop button to the right of it. You can start and stop any or all of them from this screen.

You chosed the right way you canot switch between the drivers with out delete one of them.I dont understand why but that the way I use to do.

In many cases, I have been able to stop a driver without deleting it by first turning off the Autobrowse portion of RSWho. You can't stop a driver if it is polling the network in Autobrowse.

Tom Jenkins said:
In many cases, I have been able to stop a driver without deleting it by first turning off the Autobrowse portion of RSWho. You can't stop a driver if it is polling the network in Autobrowse.

I found the same thing. Stop the autobowser.

You right Tom but in my PC the Autobrowse is off and I canot switch
the driver I useing RSLinx 2.40 PRO.
If you do it in certain order it might work.I never remember how.

You can set the startup mode of each driver in same location as start/stop. This is from the RSLinx help File:

On the Driver Startup Mode dialog box, select one of the following startup states for the selected driver:

Automatic: The driver starts when RSLinx is started and remains running until RSLinx shuts down. Automatic is the default setting.

Manual: The driver does not start when RSLinx starts. You must use the Start/Stop buttons on the Configure Drivers dialog box to control the running state of the driver.

On Demand: The driver starts when an application attempts to use it and stops when no longer in use. This selection is only available for serial and Ethernet drivers, and for the PCMK driver in the Windows 98 environment.

Important: When using the On Demand startup mode, some applications will be affected by the startup delay. On Demand is intended to be used in conjunction with RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500 to provide the ability to switch between applications without reconfiguring the driver from DH+ to DH485. You can achieve the same results by specifying a Manual startup mode then using the Start/Stop buttons on the Configure Drivers dialog to control which driver is active.

Disabled: The driver does not start; you must change the startup mode to use it.

Guys Im using RSlinx lite and I dont have the stop button, well I cant see it. I go communications, configure drivers, then the configure drivers dialogue box only has close, help, add new, edit existing, delete command buttons.

Sorry TimeFlux, I'm Running RSLinx OEM V2.41.00 and didn't realize the lite version is missing those features.

No probs Vetteboy, we have legal versions of all types of software on our laptops, cant see why we have the free version of RSlinx. The stop feature must be a feature of the full version perhaps?

Hi guys, need some clarity here. With RSlinx pro, can I stop/start a PIC box driver? If I can I will write a purchase order right away, but I dont want to blow some company cash on something that wont work.

Cheers

TFC

It is NOT work in 2.40 I tried all the option.
I dont thing It worth to spend money for new version for that reason.
Unless you have other reasons.It take 15 sec to configure new driver.
(not Ethernet).

Arikby, trying not to have to delete the drivers because there is guys even more PLC illiterate than me. We have some 21 different brands, models of PLC or HMIs on site so Im just trying to make things as simple and easy for myself and my comrades.

Had an idea, Im on R&R offsite at the mo, can one of you guys with RSlinx loaded setup the drivers that I mentioned above. Arikby, you said that you cannot stop the PIC device, can you START it once the other com1 driver is stopped? If you can do this and it by default starts the other com1 device first on program startup it might be a solution for me.