Career Change

Timeismoney08

Just a fun thought,

Maybe I'm in the wrong place to ask, but I was curious what career alternatives a decent controls engineer could easily transition to.

If you ever needed to jump into something other than Controls/Electrical/Automation Engineering, what would you choose?

Also, I think in general, most careers are not as lucrative as Automation fields. Maybe that's due to the danger and risk of the field (I think we're underpaid). Anyways, it would be nice to hear about jobs that make the same amount, if not more than regular controls engineers.

I have seen some automation engineers jump over to the process/production engineer role and then go on to become production/plant managers. The last maintenance manager I worked with was an automation engineer at one point in his career.

I know people who have moved into Project Management. Not sure that gets you out of traveling as much! I also know people who moved over to the sales/distribution side of things as a technical/application resource.

I've been considering getting CCNA certification which could open up another career path in networking, however I'm pretty comfortable with my compensation/travel/workload that it would just be another skill set rather opening a door to a new career.

I have to believe the PM route would be the only one that would compete from a compensation standpoint unless you can get in on commissions in a sales role.

Yep

Sounds like most people stay in the same field, but just in different positions. I was thinking of something more software developer type, but I'm not sure how different that may be.

I think as a software developer, it sounds cool, but I like walking the floor and getting my hands dirty every now and then.

Look at becoming a "Firmware" developer, for Microchip, Intel, Harris Lanier, Etc..

Will work on computer all day pounding out Embedded C.

I use to do this for Microchip.

I went into sales/support.... im also the janitor and IT (but I think the last two are the same) 🍺

A number of years ago, I took the jump to becoming a Maintenance Area Engineer, as well as my Site Electrical Engineer role that I had migrated into from being a Senior Controls Engineer, for the Non-Production Area of a production site, as the company had put me through a Masters Degree in Maintenance Systems Engineering and Management.

That was fine, as I was promised support from my mechanical/process colleagues on the details I did not know............until the Boiler Feed Water Pumps went tits-up one weekend, and the maintenance team already had one pump out for maintenance (before I took on the role - Weir's had it for a rebuild) and then the standby pump failed cos it had not had it's regular test run by the operator. I got hammered for it, cos I was then responsible. Those in my support took three steps back and let me take the flak.
Then soon after I was told that some of my water pressure vessels were past their due inspection date. Yet another thing they had neglected to tell me...

Needless to say, I stuck in that role only for a while, then left.
Back to be an Electrical Engineer in another company, then 5 years later back to being a Controls Engineer in yet another company. Enough of management, back to the technical role....

Engineers tend to be "solution-oriented" : there's a problem; here's the solution.

Managers tend to be "resource-oriented": there's a problem; how much will it cost to fix it, who will do it, and when?

The mindsets are often incompatible.
The engineer provides a solution, the manager withholds it.
The engineer's primary concern is the object/machine; the manager's is for people.

Not everyone is cut out to be both. Most are more comfortable with one or the other role.

Engineers tend to be "solution-oriented" : there's a problem; here's the solution.

Managers tend to be "resource-oriented": there's a problem; how much will it cost to fix it, who will do it, and when?

A slightly different take it ;)

Managers tend to be "resource-oriented": there's a problem; get engineering to fit it.

Sounds like most people stay in the same field, but just in different positions. I was thinking of something more software developer type, but I'm not sure how different that may be.

I think as a software developer, it sounds cool, but I like walking the floor and getting my hands dirty every now and then.

I was in software, not for industrial/controls stuff, but in the finance world. Pay was pretty good but after some 20 years I did not enjoy it anymore and started to get grumpy about it. Time for a change, so I took classes in mechanical engineering and am now happily working in a machine manufacturing company writing software that makes things move. I love it.

The mindsets are often incompatible.
The engineer provides a solution, the manager withholds it.
The engineer's primary concern is the object/machine; the manager's is for people.

Not everyone is cut out to be both. Most are more comfortable with one or the other role.

That sums it up nicely :)