LeroySomers\Unidrive M702 current reading high

conradstone

Lifetime Supporting Member
Gentleman, this is not a PLC problem I think but a Drive issue. I am running Controllogix L85 connected to a Leroy Somers\ Unidrive M702 on Ethernet IP. The motor is showing 825 amps when the load at other plants on same machine is 400 amps. We are the 4th plant to have the equipment installed. They have told me only the Leroy Somers guy from Europe can fix this problem because we do not have the expertise. I have never worked on this drive before, but a PLC is a PLC, a drive is a drive.
Has anyone experienced this before? I will be connecting and downloading the program this afternoon and I can provide more information. They have told me ohh, he just changes one parameter, but you wouldn´t understand. I call malarkey. I have read this site many times and solved problems. I will try to add some pics of name plate for motor.
Thanks in Advance,

motorplate1.jpg motorplate2.jpg

Has the drive been tuned to the motor? Download the M700 manual from the Control Techniques website and follow the start up procedure.

Setup for motor

All the setup procedures have been done twice. It has been auto tuned and all the values are close to what the other 4 motors in production are. I say close because no 2 motors have exact same values.

The parameters I have checked so far, motor, freq, ramp, torque control match. I just don´t see why this combination shows the high current.📚 I have read the manual and talked to tech support. That would be were I was talked to like a little kid about how their guy needed to adjust these special parameters that no one could tell me the name of.
Thank you

Looks like the motor name plate is calling for 900 plus amps at 460 volts.

Is there any chance the other motors are in Europe being fed with higher volts than yours?

Poet.

As a standard rule we run all motors at 400 volts and 50 hz so no matter where in the world the same setpoints are the same in real life instead of the usual 50 hz and 60hz confusion. The loads are the same. The other motors all showed the same condition until the ***MAGIC PARAMETER*** is set correctly. We are using torque control if that makes a difference. When we figure this out I am going to share, thank you guys for the help.

Not knowing which parameter you're monitoring... Check 4.001 for the full current, 4.002 for the torque producing current, 4.020 for the percent load...

Try parameter 4.024 (User Current Maximum Scaling)

It scales a few parameters:

User Current Maximum Scaling (04.024) defines the variable maximum/minimums VM_USER_CURRENT and VM_USER_CURRENT_HIGH_RES which are applied to Percentage Load (04.020), Torque Reference (04.008) and Torque Offset (04.009). This is useful when routing these parameters to an analog output as it allows the full scale output value to be defined by the user.

From the M700 Programming Reference Guide

Final resolution of problem

Gentleman this will be pretty anti climatic, but I hope this helps someone else.
The Super genius arrived from Europe. We decoupled the motor again and did an autotune. We then reattached the motor to the load and we began to follow the optimization menu. After each of the different optimization we saved the drive file, observed the current on the machine if it was better we moved to the next optimization option if not we reloaded the last good parameters and moved to next option on the menu. It took about 4 hours and now it is running well.
*****as a hint – before we did the auto tune we watched the voltage and current of the drive and we saw that the Voltage was staying flat with the current changing, after Voltage and Current both moved in respect to each other******
So if first and second you do not see a change do it a third time!

Thanks for all the help:site: