Ethernet Communication - Determine if it will work

Timeismoney08

Question,

We have a company outside of the US providing us with an Automation device. The concern I have is that it will not be able to talk over Ethernet/ip or Modbus/tcp.

In general terms, what is the best way to get data from their PC to our PLC? They have software engineers who can assist, but with my lack of knowledge on the PC side, I can't say for sure that it will talk to our system.

Should I tell them they have to use Kepserver? Or only request that they can talk Modbus or Ethernet/ip?

Thanks in advance!

What software are you planning to use to get the data from the PLC?
Ask the supplier what Ethernet communications protocols their device supports and then check to see if your data acquisition software supports any of the ones supported by the equipment. If you can't find a protocol common to both devices you will need a third party interface from someone like Red Lion or Anybus.

if the transmission will be through the WAN the protocol to choose should be OPC UA, it offers encryption and security via trusted certificates. If the PLC doesn't have an integrated OPC UA server then a server should be installed on some PC near the PLC.

I normally write my URS to be explicit

100 - System shall communicate to the blah blah Control system via Ethernet I/P. (Assuming your preferred method is Ethernet I/P, replace for Profinet or whatevs)

So i'd just update your spec to be specific. Let them propose a solution and then review it.