IEC 61131 Structured Text syntax

Paulus

Hello All,
Suppose I have a function block (named FB_MyTimer)that contains a VAR_IN_OUT (named My_Pulse).
I wish to nest this function block inside a structured text function block.
Does anyone know the correct ST syntax (according to IEC 6-1131) for addressing the VAR_IN_OUT?

E.g. If it were an Input variable, the text might look something like this...
FB_MyTimer(EN := TRUE, My_Pulse := My_Var) ;

If it were an Output variable, the text might look something like this...
FB_MyTimer(EN := TRUE, My_Pulse => My_Var) ;

I have read somewhere that the syntax may be a combination of the two, i.e. FB_MyTimer(EN := TRUE, My_Pulse :==> My_Var) ;
but I'm not sure. Any ideas anyone?

Please note, this is a PLC independant project that I'm working on, so it really is only the correct syntax that is important.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Two ways to go:
Informal - Parameter order does matter (no ENO here)
- abs_int(myInput, myOutput)
Formal - Parameter order does not matter
- Provides ENO to indicate function call success
- abs_int(in := myInput, Q => myOutput, ENO => mySuccess)

Timer:
st_timer(IN := ST_Timer_Enable, PT := 1000, Q => ST_Timer_Done, ET => ST_Timer_ET);

Last edited:
Thanks for that RussB,
The informal method is useful to know.

However, this is OK if the variables in the nested FB are type 'input' or 'output'. What I'm having trouble with is if the variable within the nested FB is the type IN_OUT (where the input parameter is passed to the VAR_IN_OUT, is then manipulated within the nested FB, and the result is passed back out to the same input parameter. :confused: