Rsview Studio,"tags not activated"

PearsonPack1

I am running RsView studio SE V3.2. I am connected to a Micro logix 1500 via Net-ENI module. I can pick tags through the tag browser but when I run the client I get errors saying that the tags have not been activated. Has any one seen this before?

Sounds like you haven't set up the connection between the PLC and the HMI. Check your target and local settings in the communication setup.

I have spent many of hours working with a rockwell field engineer on this problem Yes i have seen that before several times! What seem to happen if you do not have a good clean load of the Os or of rsview it will not connect threw linx the only way i have gotten around this problem is to format the harddrive and reinstall the os and rsviewse check your linx and you should notice the topic is not being grabed

Well, it *could* be something exotic and messed-up in the RSLinx Enterprise / FactoryTalk installation.

But I usually see it in first-timers in Machine Edition because of the way the RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts work.

The RSView Studio tag browser and the RSView Studio "Display Test" function both use the Shortcut definition that is shown on the "Local" tab of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration window.

The RSView Machine Edition (ME) runtime (which is what happens when you click the little "running man" icon) uses the shortcut definition from the "Target" tab of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration window.

That's what the "Copy" button is for in RSLinx Enterprise configuration; it copies the Local schema (drivers and devices) into the Target tab.

As for RSView SE data servers and clients, I'm not 100% sure if they use the Local or the Target definition. It's worth a look to see if your Target definition is correct.

In related news, I heard that the RSView Studio 4.0 release was going to be Very Soon, maybe even today. I look forward to being able to save my applications in 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 4.0 runtime formats from the same editor !

But suppose that your Local and your Target are different. Will "Copy" mess-up the Target?
We did have an awful lot of trouble with the comms. It worked, and then after you download updated program ( with the exact same configuration) it did not see any of the new Tags. Some people swore never to use it again.

awalinski said:
But suppose that your Local and your Target are different. Will "Copy" mess-up the Target?
We did have an awful lot of trouble with the comms. It worked, and then after you download updated program ( with the exact same configuration) it did not see any of the new Tags. Some people swore never to use it again.

Yes! "Copy" WILL make a difference, it will make the target and local the same!

.....The RSView Machine Edition (ME) runtime (which is what happens when you click the little "running man" icon) uses the shortcut definition from the "Target" tab of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration window.

Eddie,

That has not been my experience. I use RSView ME with only a Local setup and I can use the Test Run and the Test Application functions. I can even create a runtime and separtely launch the Runtime App and run it.

The Target tab is only what gets downloaded to the PV+. Anything you initiate from the computer would be considered Local.

I'm gonna double-check, but I have been using it this way for ages as I usually don't setup the target tab until I am ready to actually download it and run it on the PV+.

OG

Thanks for your responses. What we found was we were running linx version 2.42, we upgraded to version 2.43 and the problem went away.

thanks

I guess I'll double-check myself too, OG. My conclusion might have come from some other RSLinx Enterprise malfunction.

I didn't even guess that PearsonPack1 was actually using RSLinx 2.4x.... since that uses regular old OPC I usually don't see problems with it unless there are FactoryTalk Shortcuts with the same name.

To make things more fun, I am downloading the RSView Studio 4.0 release right now. Here's hoping.....