FT View SE V10- How to Find and Replace a few strings in development?

Tanquen

V 10.00.01
Patch 9

I’ve used the Find and Replace a bit in ME and it’s both very powerful and totally lame.

It’s totally cool that you can search through the entire app for strings but why can’t I just select 10 strings with and change “Cats” to “Dogs”? Why not select just one screen? I don’t think there is another SCADA package that can’t do this. ???

Thanks.

Yea but are you going to do that every time you wan to replace a few strings?

Also, the export/import is a nice tool but it's overly clunky and time consuming to use.

If you only want to change something on one screen then the Tag Substitution would be your best bet. Just open your screen and use Edit> Select All. Then Edit> Tag Substitution. You'll see all your tags and expression used on that screen. Search and Replace any thing or any part of the text you want to modify.

I am not defending how it works. I wish it was better but that is a workaround that I have used.

Sorry, I was just saying I knew about it but it’s just not usable for this kind of thing. :) I think I'd be faster just changing the 10 strings on the screen manually one by one than close the screen and do the export/import dance. If the interface was not so bad it might be a workaround but as it is I'd only mess with it when I have lots of changes to make too many objects on the screen.

Last edited:
If you only want to change something on one screen then the Tag Substitution would be your best bet. Just open your screen and use Edit> Select All. Then Edit> Tag Substitution. You'll see all your tags and expression used on that screen. Search and Replace any thing or any part of the text you want to modify.

Yes, I use that often (Ctrl+R) to replace tags when needed but I'm just talking about strings.

I'm pretty sure that only the Find and Replace works as you say but then it for some odd reason will not let you work with just the selected items or even just one screen. You have to let it search all screens or none. Why they don't let you select just one, who knows???

If you want to replace text objects then select all the text objects and use View> Property Panel. Then change the Caption to new value. This will replace all selected objects in one shot.

That is close but it only works in certain types of replacements. I use it when it will let me for object parameters like color and size and it works sometimes. For text strings though, you’d have to be updating all identical strings, not really a search and replace. In most other dev packages (or notepad even) this is very easy and quick.

You are using the wrong software if you want features. Any Rockwell HMI software package is terrible. Many posts where guys rant about it. It's apparent Rockwell isn't going to change. Use ignition or indusoft.