FactoryTalk No Ethernet Comms

nik124

So when I go to communication setup in factory talk view studio and I create a shortcut and click on the tab Local Runtime and choose Ethernet nothing drops down below Ethernet. I can’t see any of the plc’s on the network. Although when I go to rslinx classic I can see all the plc’s and HMI’s that are on the network. I tried deleting RSlinx Enterprise and creating a whole new shortcut path with the same result. When I manually enter in the target PLC device it works perfect but shouldn’t I see all the devices automatically on the network? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Under the explorer pane there are two tabs. One is application that's the default that shows when you open a project. The other is Communications. Click on it to setup your network. Right click a select add device. Once setup in there they will show on your Communication Setup under RSLinx Enterprise. You can do the same thing in the Communication Setup folder right click on network and choose add device.

Under the explorer pane there are two tabs. One is application that's the default that shows when you open a project. The other is Communications. Click on it to setup your network. Right click a select add device. Once setup in there they will show on your Communication Setup under RSLinx Enterprise. You can do the same thing in the Communication Setup folder right click on network and choose add device.

It doesn’t automatically browse the network for devices? You have to manually enter in every device? Thanks

Only setup the devices needed for your project. If you place every device on your network in each runtime project, it will delay the Load Project action when you run the .mer. By placing them in your Communication Tab they will auto show in your design and runtime tabs but I always delete the ones in the runtime tab except the ones needed for that project.