Schneider M580 Peer to Peer Communications

DrWarm

Hi everyone,

Can't seem to find the answer to this on this forum or google. What is the recommended method to exchange data between M580 PLCs peer to peer?

Previously with M340 I have used NOE/NOC cards and I/O scanning to set up memory areas to do messaging. Is this still possible with M580?

I'm a bit confused, as now they mention RIO and DIO scanning possibilities of the PLCs. I also see you can use Ethernet/IP, but this has a limitation of 1 PLC cannot talk to more than 3 other PLCs (my understanding anyway).

In our current architecture we will have 1 master PLC talking to 12 or more slave RTUs collecting and sending data.

The M580 definitely still supports the IO scanning style you'd be used to with the M340 NOCs. DIO, or Distributed IO, is exactly that.

Instead of using rack extension modules you now use RIO scanner, and the link is over ethernet. However its deterministic, as opposed to RIO which isn't. Not a major deal for collecting data from an RTU.

Absolutely no reason you couldn't IOScan 12 RTUs using an M580 and a NOC.

Thanks for the replies.
@BobB
Sorry I'm not familiar with these modules, I'll look into it. If the engineering is easier might be worth it depending on price.

@Saffa
Will I still need a NOC card in the M580 racks? As all the M580 CPU models have DIO built into both ports (models ending in 40 have RIO as well). Hoping to get away without purchasing additional hardware.

Schneider - expensive mate. Using them on a job at the moment - apart from the software quirks not too bad to set up. Software is a pain for mine - oh well.