NAMUR output question

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a project I’m working on that has one Intrinsically Safe device with a NAMUR output. The sales person couldn’t give me much detail on what a NAMUR output is. I’m pretty sure it is a European standard, but what type of input card on a PLC can handle this output? I will be running the signal through a galvanic isolation barrier. (I.S. barrier).

Did a search on google, but most of the hits appear to be in German.

Can anyone give me a link to a site that gives the details on this type of output?

Thanks,

Ken

Dear Ken

Namur is a two wire system where the power and signal are transmitted on thes wires
the 0 and 1 of the switch is two different frequencies
to interface with this type , either u use namur input cards (siemens has them , or u use the proper interface like peperrel and fuchs and this gives u a dry contact )
i will try to get u the part numbers of these
Amr

Amr Hassan said:
the 0 and 1 of the switch is two different frequencies...

Interesting. I didn't know that and have been using NAMUR Prx's for a while. I thought it was the defined voltage / current levels, specifically when used with the right type of barrier / isolator you can detect if the prx. wiring is broken/shorted.

I think we used NAMUR prx's as the voltage / current required by it are a lot less than standard prx's, thus sutible for I.S. use.

Ken, take a look at the MTL 5018 Isolator, the data sheet has a bit more info.

Ken,

The <1.8mA: >2.4mA is very close to the NAMUR switches I've used, 1.2mA/2.1mA. NAMUR is inherently intrinsically safe, when used with a signal NAMUR conditioner.

I've got notes on 3 different Phoenix Contact devices, all of which require DC power (24Vdc), the input is the field device, the output is a switched transistor.

28 35 77 8 or PI-Ex-ME-2NAM/TO-A
28 35 34 1 or PI-Ex-NAM/RNO-NE
28 35 48 0 or PI/Ex-ME-2NAM/TO-700Hz

Dan

Ken,

After all the reading I did at the beginning of this year for a large Intrinsically-Safe/Explosion-proof project I agree with danw that Quote:"NAMUR is inherently intrinsically safe, when used with a signal NAMUR conditioner." I know I read a heck of alot more about them/it but danw pretty much summed it up there.

We used 94, that is right, 94, 3-channel barriers, from Turck. Can you believe the salesman was elated on that order:p

The barriers were Turck MK13-33Ex0-T/115VAC and some of the proxs we used were Bi5-M18-Y1X-H1141.

Commissioning of that project added 20% more grey hairs than before. I am just thankful "I like (should of been LOVE) beer" or it would have been a long psych ward visit.

Turck does have a manual on their site about intrinsically-safe areas/applications but I did not find a better answer for the Namur.

Just to clear things up, I've been using I.S. devices since around 1995, my plant has somewhere around 2000 I.S. barriers already installed and in service. I work primarily in process controls vs. machine controls, and the NAMUR output is new to me. After looking on the internet, I see that a lot of prox. switches come with this type of output.
In the past I have mostly used analog I.S. signals and fully incapsulated reed switches via a barrier as limit switches. This particular device will be connected to an existing DCS input module, the input module has built in P&F barries, I just need to call P & F to determine exactly which barrier I need.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Regards,

Ken

Been there done that, got the lumps to prove it...

NAMUR is a trade association of process controls users that has worked to define certain aspects of process control equipment. They have put out "recomended practices" that equipment should adhere to. These documents are not exactly standards but more like a bid spec.

Their origins are in the chemical / pharmaceutical industries with most of the member companies from Europe.

If there is some reference to a "compliant to NAMUR XX" (like NAMUR 064 Status Signals for Field Instruments) in your prox datasheet, use this link to get to a site to order free spec sheets via fax or email (I think you are limited to 4 or 5 at a time). I've ordered them and they come in both German and English.

Unfortunately there isn't a good way to search for the specific reference numbers in their site (unless you're fluent in German).

http://www.namur.de/en/967.php