Moxa Nport 5110 with Allen-Bradley SLC-500 PLC basic card

lingenieur

Hello,

Here we have the mentionned PLC which had, in the beginning, a serial line printer connected to one of the serial port of the basic module (1746-BAS) to print out results for mixtures.

8 years ago, we removed this old printer and replaced it with an old PC running windows XP and Tera Term. The same data is now captured through the serial port of the PC and written into a text file for each day.

A long time ago, on another PLC (Omron CQM1), we had a Moxa Nport 5110 connected to the peripheral port (with a special cable) which was doing the same thing, meaning capturing text data to be sent to a remote computer to a text file. This PLC had also a serial line printer connected before we put the Nport to it.

Since that Omron PLC does not exist anymore, I was trying to connect that Nport 5110 to the basic module of the SLC500 instead of having a computer near the PLC.

So the topology would be like this:
[Server PC]---TCP/IP---[NPort]==RS-232==[Basic module of SLC500 PLC]

The RS-232 cable is a simple null modem cable:
pins 2<->3, 3<->2, 5<->5
which worked for everything else so far with that basic module.

Serial parameters are:
9600 baud
8 data bits
1 stop bit
None parity
No flow control

The jumpers on the basic module set the port to an "ASCII Interface port"
Other options are for programming.

The Nport is set to "Real COM mode". I tried many many other settings and modes without success.

It seems like the Nport is receiving the data since the Rx led flashes while the data is sent by the PLC.

Has anyone been able to make this kind of module work with the 1746-BAS card ?

Thanks a lot.