Tisoft v4.3....oldschool

sonofsiemen

Still can't communicate with the Simatic 505 with 525 CPU. I have a very old IBM DOS laptop with TI Soft on it and can connect flawlessly. But with this NEW, straight from the factory Siemens Simatic Field PG M2 with Windows XP, I can't. It has the 25 pin AG port and 9 pin MPI/DP port as in the picture. I am tryin to connect with STEP5 software from the laptop. Siemen Rep said I could with it. Do I need the old TI Soft software on this new laptop to connect? I have also heard that a program Softshop will work with these PLCs alongside Windows XP, is that true? Where can I get these two softwares if needed? I could prob take it off the old laptop, but I don't work much with DOS based stuff and don't really know about how to go about doing it. And how to install it on the new laptop with Windows XP. My new laptop has the harddrive partitioned so that I can run STEP5 (which is DOS based) and it does fine. What to do.... What to do.... 🔨🔨🔨 Thanks

Hello

Here is a link to the Fastrak site.
This company provides the windows based software that you would need for programming your 525 TI plc.
Take also a look at there knowledge page for programming cable pin out etc,
You can download the software and use it in demo mode but you can’t go online in demo mode and you can’t save programs.
I’m not sure if you can import your old tisoft 4.3 program because that is very old but with the demo version you can try

http://www.fast-soft.com/page.php?20

Regards

Henny

Newer laptop serial ports do not have the required voltage to connect to the legacy TI PLC's. Over the years the laptop makers have dropped the voltage, I guess to enhance battery life. When the 525 came out laptop's didn't exist.

I have the Fastrak software, before you buy, be warned. A lot of the functions do not work on old plc's unless they have the latest firmware available. I have several 565's still running, and the Workshop software find function does not work because of the firmware I have. Makes the software just about useless for online trouble shooting.

Step 5 does NOT support the 505. Never has, never will... That's because the 505 was really a TI processor. Siemens bought the TI controls group in the 90's.

You need TISoft, or there was a windoze version but I can't remember its name right now.

What operating system do you have on your STEP5 partitition?
If it is Dos/WIN95/98 you should be able to copy your tisoft program to the parttion and run it. There may be settings to change in autoexec.bat and config.sys.

You may also run your dos programs using dosbox in XP. It is a free software that emulates a older pc. The program uses a directory on your pc as a c\: drive. I have used this with tisoft and other old programs that uses the serial port.

If you will go for the new fasttrak software you will probably first need to convert your files to tisoft ver.5.x before importing it to fasttrak. I think there was a convert program in this release because the files are different.

Btw. the serial port on the 505 series cpu are RS232C/RS-423 compatible which means they only need +/-5V compared to RS-232 (+/-15V)

I am running TISoft 7 on an XP pc - a nice fast Sony with a PCMCIA serial card. I hook up to a 565. It is miserably slow. A co-worker has new Acer Aspire 'netbook', with a USB-serial dongle, and that works faster than mine. Customer has a NEC Pentium with Win95, that beat both of our new PCs for this job.

I am going to try this 'dosbox' tomorrow, if I can find it. Searching now...

As far as getting it onto your new machine, just copy the entire TISOFT directory onto a couple floppy disks, and then get a newer machine to put that onto a USB memory chip or similar to get it to the Siemens. Unless the Siemens has a FDD...

Still can't communicate with the Simatic 505 with 525 CPU. I have a very old IBM DOS laptop with TI Soft on it and can connect flawlessly. But with this NEW, straight from the factory Siemens Simatic Field PG M2 with Windows XP, I can't. It has the 25 pin AG port and 9 pin MPI/DP port as in the picture. I am tryin to connect with STEP5 software from the laptop.
What? Unless STEP supports the NITP ( non intelligent terminal protocol, ASCII ) or TBP ( transparent byte protocol, BINARY ) protocols that is not possible.

Siemen Rep said I could with it. Do I need the old TI Soft software on this new laptop to connect?
Any version of TISOFT should do.
Both protocols should be rather robust because they are not timing dependent like Modbus is. I have complete documentation for both protocols that was provided to me/us when we made motion controllers for the TI505.
I think we even have a 525,535 and definitely some 545s around someplace.

You shouldn't have any problem if running DOS, Win95 or Win98. Later versions require you run in compatibility modes.

I had the exact same problem awhile back....... Try these steps

Turn on laptop and bootup in Windows for STEP5
Click Start
Click Run
Type cmd then hit enter
Type cd C:\ in DOS prompt
Type cd tiplc in DOS prompt
Type ti530c in DOS prompt
TISOFT Program should begin

Please let me know if this helps Thanks