AB SLC 5/05 Ethernet Driver Testing

Archie

I have completed my first go at an Ethernet driver for the SLC 5/05. This is only for CSP and NOT Ethernet/IP. Which means it will only work on the 5/05 and possibly a PLC5 (which I have no way to test).

Once this is tested and debugged I am going to put it out as an open source driver on sourceforge.net

I have attached the installation of a test program that uses the driver and would like to see if I can get some people to test it and give me feedback. It is a .NET 2.0 application, so it will want to install the .NET framework from the internet if you do not already have it on your machine.

You simply set the IP address of the SLC and then you can read/write data tables.

For those that have been waiting, the Ethernet/IP driver is still in the works.

Thanks
Archie

ABEthernet.PNG

Great App! I was able to use it on both 5/05s and 5/04s with a Digi serial gatway attached. It did not work to my PLC 5/40E. I get "Successfull Opening Of Comms" when I click "Open Port", but when I try to read data I get "Error code in EXT STS Byte".

Thanks for all the hard work. I look forward to the finished product!

Charlie

Just curious, did you find some official CSP documentation? IIRC AB has never released any.

If you want a possibly easier Ethernet communication method, I have seen some docs about encapsulating PCCC into simple, unconnected EthernetI/P messages. You could probably reuse code from your DF1 package.

Averytc

Thanks for the testing and feedback. I will look into the PLC5 issue. The EXT STS means that the error code is stored in an extended byte in the stream.

I never thought about the Digi gateway. Its good to know that it works with it.

Jason
I put that together from a compilation of resources I accumulated and also did some packet captures from RSLinx. I had no luck trying to find the official documentation on the CSP protocol.

I have looked at the Ethernet/IP encapsulation of the PCCC commands, but that is a much larger projects. I was able to implement the CSP by taking my DF1 driver and replacing the data link layer with a TCP client. Once I figured out the structure of the Ethernet header, it was fairly easy.