Help Needed on B&R PLC

uptownlord

Hi,

I'm going to expand a control system. The core PLC is a B&R automation PLC, CP260 with EX150 bus controller module. Is anyone had an experience with this type of PLC? I want to know:
1. What software and hardware are needed for programming PLC? I want to know if there is any PG for this PLC or not? If yes is it shipped by PLC or we should purchase it?
2. I want to add a S7 station to system as a remote IO, Is it possible? what software and hardware is needed then?
3. What monitoring software have ability to connect to PLC and read its IOs?

merci

Hi,

I'm going to expand a control system. The core PLC is a B&R automation PLC, CP260 with EX150 bus controller module. Is anyone had an experience with this type of PLC? I want to know:
1. What software and hardware are needed for programming PLC? I want to know if there is any PG for this PLC or not? If yes is it shipped by PLC or we should purchase it?
2. I want to add a S7 station to system as a remote IO, Is it possible? what software and hardware is needed then?
3. What monitoring software have ability to connect to PLC and read its IOs?

merci

Your PLC is B&R system 2005CPU

1) B&R Automation Studio for programming and you can use a normal laptop.
2) You can connect a S7 by PROFIBUS or PROFINET as slave / node.
3) B&R Automation Studio

Your B&R office:

B&R Industrial Automation Corp.
940 Enchanted Way S-102
Simi Valley, CA. 93065
United States
Phone +1 (805) 520-0797 Fax +1 (805) 520-0686
[email protected]

Merci

Thank you Jera, Would you please tell me if Automation Studio is included in PLC packing or Not? should I purchase it separately? And please tell me if i need any additional licence for connecting to profibus Remote I/O or not.

Thanks again

Thank you Jera, Would you please tell me if Automation Studio is included in PLC packing or Not? should I purchase it separately? And please tell me if i need any additional licence for connecting to profibus Remote I/O or not.

Thanks again

I've only used my clients software, so I do not know if you buy the software with the PLC or separately. So you need to probably contact the local B & R office.
You can read about the software here:
http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-productcatalogue/hs.xsl/products_5417_ENG_HTML.htm

You do not need extra software to connect Profibus remote I / O, but only a Profibus card in the PLC system and the gsd file for configuration
http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-productcatalogue/hs.xsl/products_6923_ENG_HTML.htm

or maybe a communication module for the CPU
http://www.br-automation.com/cps/rde/xchg/br-productcatalogue/hs.xsl/products_5837_ENG_HTML.htm

Thank you bits'bytes

bits'bytes thank you very much, I'm curious to know that is it possible to monitor this PLC with Citect or WinCC. Is there any driver released to add PLC to Citect or WinCC?

bits'bytes thank you very much, I'm curious to know that is it possible to monitor this PLC with Citect or WinCC. Is there any driver released to add PLC to Citect or WinCC?
Hello uptownlord,

please see the picture attached... This is my guess, how it should work. I have never used this configuration but I think this should be possible like this.

I think it is best to let your B&R office confirm that this OPC solution will work.

Of course you have the possibility that there exist direct connections (PVI drivers) from Citec or WinCC, but that you need to clarify with these companies.

Alternatively you could access the PLC CP260 with a number of fieldbus protocols (like modbus, profibus, ...) but that for you would definitely need to adapt the PLC program....

br
bb

B&R_Connect_Citec_and_WinCC.png

One word of caution

One word of caution, these B&R PLCs have been around at least since the mid 90's. I have one here that was originally programmed in 96 using PG2000 software. I had to contact B&R USA and send them a copy of the program to find out which software was needed to interact with it. It was originally a DOS software package and takes some work to run on an XP machine. It was also programmed in German....we got it going, but it was a challenge.

BTW, B&R here in the states told me they could not offer any support using the PG2000 software, nobody left with any experience......

One word of caution, these B&R PLCs have been around at least since the mid 90's. I have one here that was originally programmed in 96 using PG2000 software. I had to contact B&R USA and send them a copy of the program to find out which software was needed to interact with it. It was originally a DOS software package and takes some work to run on an XP machine. It was also programmed in German....we got it going, but it was a challenge.

BTW, B&R here in the states told me they could not offer any support using the PG2000 software, nobody left with any experience......

Hello rcflyer!

yes you are right, they are old ones!! But I thought this is not a secret :)

We are still using them and are programming them with a tool called "dosbox". This works very reliable - even Win.7 64 bit. That means: PG.2000 runs under DosBox under Windows.

If you need to go Online another time ....

br
bb

B&R 2005 supported w/ Latest B&R software

Hello, I just wanted to mention that B&R supports almost all of their legacy products with their latest programming utility, Automation Studio, and am certain it supports the 2005 product line.
They have recently released Automation Studio v3.0.90 which will run on a 64-bit box and should allow you to easily add a profilbus or profinet bus controller to communicate to the S7 I/O.
The B&R guys are pretty good at finding the right solution. You should contact them to see what they can do for you.
Good luck!

Hello, I just wanted to mention that B&R supports almost all of their legacy products with their latest programming utility, Automation Studio, and am certain it supports the 2005 product line.
They have recently released Automation Studio v3.0.90 which will run on a 64-bit box and should allow you to easily add a profilbus or profinet bus controller to communicate to the S7 I/O.
The B&R guys are pretty good at finding the right solution. You should contact them to see what they can do for you.
Good luck!

Hi there,

I agree but be aware that in case the original program was done with PG.2000 you need to take in account some extra days for converting the project from PG.2000 to AS.

You can definitely not just open the program with the new programming system AS3.90.x

You are right to mention that AS is supporting almost all hardware components (only the really old stuff e.g. CP60 ... is left out). But to add a communication line you need to edit the project. There for basically you need the programming system with which it was created.

If you want to change the programming system from PG.2000 to AS you need to convert and follow the rules to do so. And of course then there are various mistakes one can make and it can take some time until the program is working again.

Also, just in case a XP is used as parallel processor it may be another problem as I don't know how AS supports two processors....

I agree completely with the idea to contact B&R ...

br
bb

Hello,

Excuse me if i restart an old tread, that's because probably more B&R experts may see my question here. In a part of my project I should use a Siemens 314 2DP CPU as a master Profibus node and a B&R CP260 with IF661 as a slave. B&R CPU is attached to a PS794 with EX250 sub slot and CP260 is equipped with IF681 and IF661. A 32 channel DI Module is in next slot and I need to read this module Inputs from Siemens. I have downloaded GSD files of IF661 from Download center and I have installed it in SIMATIC. after configuration of hardware and software , assigning Station IDs , and ... I got a Bus Fault error.
please help me. If it is possible please send me a sample project or materials which help me implementing the project in step by step.

Best wishes

Hello,

Excuse me if i restart an old tread, that's because probably more B&R experts may see my question here. In a part of my project I should use a Siemens 314 2DP CPU as a master Profibus node and a B&R CP260 with IF661 as a slave. B&R CPU is attached to a PS794 with EX250 sub slot and CP260 is equipped with IF681 and IF661. A 32 channel DI Module is in next slot and I need to read this module Inputs from Siemens. I have downloaded GSD files of IF661 from Download center and I have installed it in SIMATIC. after configuration of hardware and software , assigning Station IDs , and ... I got a Bus Fault error.
please help me. If it is possible please send me a sample project or materials which help me implementing the project in step by step.

Best wishes

Hello,
you get the bus fault on Siemens or B&R ? If B&R, can you post the error-log book ? Maybe there is a hint

br
bb

Hello bits'bytes,
I got the bus error on B&R PLC.
I have Configured Hardware first. Then I defined 32 global variable and assigned them to physical IO's. I set the IF661 to 11 with Dial pad and I gave IF681 Ethernet interface 192.168.0.11 address. After that I compiled it and transfer it to target. I imported IF661 GSD file in Simiatic and assigned Slave ID 11 and a 32ch input to IF661. I set baud-rate as 12 mbps for Profibus DP. But after running Siemens CPU I got bus fault on Siemens CPU.
One thing that is strange to me is that before new configuration I have pinged IF681 Ethernet port successfully, but after transfering new config I miss the ping and all packets are timed out. In Ethernet properties I have an error below the page which says that "tcpipdrv.br version 1.20 or higher" is needed. I can't find such a file in B&R website. I don't know if it is a source of error or not.
Another important thing is that if I get properties of IF661 in front of Slave ID and Master ID is "none" and although I assigned 11 by dial pad but it seems that the address is not set yet.
In documents of B&R I saw a program which is not in site for download, It seems I need "field bus configurator" as well to parameterize my stations.
And after all I have downloaded Fieldbus Designer but when I want to define hardware config it says that 2005 series is missing and it starts to get some updates from internet but after downloading I got the same error and I don't have any 2005 system module to insert in my project in Fieldbus Designer.