Red Lion G315 - Communications Issues / Reset to Factory?

TimC114

We just installed a new G315 on a piece of equipment after setting up our HMI via an additional test G315.

Everything worked fine downloading the software to the original HMI screen, now I can't download to the new one via TCP/IP.

The original download was via TCP/IP with IP 192.168.0.169.

Downloaded HMI software to new G315 via USB, which worked. Tried to download the same software from another laptop via USB and the download froze while writing "Block 1" (I think). We've had this issue before, and the way around it was to download via TCP/IP.

Went back to original laptop that had successfully downloaded via USB, and now I'm getting a "A conflict has been detected with the following USB devices: 1. Unknown".

Where I'm at now is that the new screen seems like it may have gotten corrupted, because it will not accept TCP/IP nor USB downloads (I have changed the IP address of the new screen to match the program).

My questions are:

a) Is there a way to "restore to factory defaults" or otherwise wipe out the G315 without connecting it to Crimson?

b) Any idea why my download to the first G315 worked fine, and now doesn't work at all? I have double checked the IP addresses, but it keeps coming up with "ERROR - Unable to open communications port" after "Checking Device Model" message.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Tim

We just installed a new G315 on a piece of equipment after setting up our HMI via an additional test G315.

Everything worked fine downloading the software to the original HMI screen, now I can't download to the new one via TCP/IP.

The original download was via TCP/IP with IP 192.168.0.169.

Downloaded HMI software to new G315 via USB, which worked. Tried to download the same software from another laptop via USB and the download froze while writing "Block 1" (I think). We've had this issue before, and the way around it was to download via TCP/IP.

Went back to original laptop that had successfully downloaded via USB, and now I'm getting a "A conflict has been detected with the following USB devices: 1. Unknown".

Where I'm at now is that the new screen seems like it may have gotten corrupted, because it will not accept TCP/IP nor USB downloads (I have changed the IP address of the new screen to match the program).

My questions are:

a) Is there a way to "restore to factory defaults" or otherwise wipe out the G315 without connecting it to Crimson?

b) Any idea why my download to the first G315 worked fine, and now doesn't work at all? I have double checked the IP addresses, but it keeps coming up with "ERROR - Unable to open communications port" after "Checking Device Model" message.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Tim

You can clear the program by holding down the first and second buttons (from the top) while powering up the unit. Hold it until a message appears to allow you to press the top button to reset.

After doing this, you can power back down, and power it up holding the first and fourth buttons. This will enable TCP download and allow you to set the IP address right from the display.

You may have other issues, but this should answer your question.

Ok. Got the HMI reset, but still having issues communicating. I have the IP address set to 198.168.0.169 on the device, and under the "Ethernet 1 tab" and the "Downloads" tab under "communications".

When I send the program, Crimson pauses for 5-10 seconds with the "checking device model" screen, and then displays an "ERROR - Unable to Open Communications Port".

Any ideas?

Are you set correctly under link options?
As far as I can tell. TCP/IP is set, IP addresses are set on HMI and in Crimson. Does Crimson match up the IP address to the MAC address and is confused because I set one IP address to two different devices? Maybe my wire needs to be replaced? I'm out of ideas.

I also can't get the USB download to work, but that might have more to do with running Windows via Parallels on a Mac.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

As far as I can tell. TCP/IP is set, IP addresses are set on HMI and in Crimson. Does Crimson match up the IP address to the MAC address and is confused because I set one IP address to two different devices? Maybe my wire needs to be replaced? I'm out of ideas.

I also can't get the USB download to work, but that might have more to do with running Windows via Parallels on a Mac.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Can you ping the G315? If so, make sure (again) that Ethernet 1 is set to the same IP Address.

Crimson doesn't care about the MAC address, but make sure you don't have two devices on the network with the same IP Address.

Solved the issue - it had to do with setting up a gateway address when downloading from a laptop via wireless versus downloading from a desktop that was on a different wired router. Looks like everything works now.

Thanks for all your help!

G315 program issue

Hi,

We have recently got a G315 we are trying to program. We cannot disable USB 2.0 on our PC, but when trying to program via Ethernet it simply says "cannot open communication port".

I have applied a static IP to PC with the first 3 octets matching. Followed the settings in the instructions but no joy.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Hi,

We have recently got a G315 we are trying to program. We cannot disable USB 2.0 on our PC, but when trying to program via Ethernet it simply says "cannot open communication port".

I have applied a static IP to PC with the first 3 octets matching. Followed the settings in the instructions but no joy.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks

Did you set it to download via Ethernet under links?

Is the G315 set to receive over Ethernet?

Hi,

We have done both of those but still no joy...

Thanks

Can you ping the G315? If not, it is either the Ethernet settings on the PC or the display. If you can we can go in a different direction.

If you can't, post the exact Ethernet settings for both devices including mask and gateway.

Can you ping the G315? If not, it is either the Ethernet settings on the PC or the display. If you can we can go in a different direction.

If you can't, post the exact Ethernet settings for both devices including mask and gateway.

Ping done and successful.

G315:

IP: 192.168.1.20

PC:

IP: 192.168.1.40
Gateway: 255.255.255.0

Thanks

Ping done and successful.

G315:

IP: 192.168.1.20

PC:

IP: 192.168.1.40
Gateway: 255.255.255.0

Thanks

Then either the G315 is not set to receive downloads via Ethernet or the Crimson 3.0 software is not set to send that way.

How did you set the IP in the Display? Did you use the power up with 1st and 4th buttons pressed method? If so, it is set correctly. If not, clear the database if there is one by using power up with 1st and 2nd buttons pressed. Then power up with 1st and 4th pressed and set the IP address again.

Once the display shows the correct IP address and says that it is ready for Ethernet download try again.

If you are already at this screen, we can look at your Crimson 3.0 settings.