HMI on a Raspberry Pi

Archie

I briefly mentioned this on another thread, but it has gained a lot of interest on other forums and groups so I thought I'd create a separate thread on here for the subject.

For those not familiar with a Raspberry Pi, it is a palm sized computer that was originally designed as a low cost education tool. They sell for $35 or less, depending on the model. After it's release it gained huge popularity in many other fields and has been adapted for many different uses.

I recently tested running AdvancedHMI on the Pi and it runs quite well. Since AdvancedHMI is a .NET application and Mono can run .NET apps without modification, it's only a matter of installing Mono on the Raspberry Pi. The surprising thing is the same application developed and run on Windows will run directly on the Pi. You can literally copy the exact same exe file onto a memory stick and run it on the Pi.

The Raspberry Pi makes a great HMI for those looking for something extremely low cost.

I recently bought a 7" display for $45 to connect to the Raspberry Pi. Attached is a picture of the bare hardware showing an AdvancedHMI application running on it and communicating with a MicroLogix 1100. The Rapberry Pi is on the right enclosed in a semi-transparent case with a USB memory stick plugged into it. On the left is the control board for the display. The two are connected with a standard HDMI cable.

I have also successfully tested it with TwinCAT PLCs and Compact/ControlLogix. I haven't tested it, but I'm sure the ModbusTCP and Omron Ethernet drivers will work just as well.

PiTontec.jpg

archie you make me happy, and codesys probably too.
could you please put this message also on forum of codesys.com?
I'm not sure how much this would apply to CodeSys. The last I had checked, the only option for communication was an OPC server. Since OPC is based it ActiveX, it only works on Windows based machines. I have seen some CodeSys controllers that have ModbusTCP and it will work with those.

In the past I have tried to get the Codesys protocol specification so I could develop a pure .NET driver which would then work on all platforms. I was never able to get hold of it. If anyone could convince 3S to release that, then I could write a native driver for CodeSys.

Is that a touch screen? I looked at the web site and it appeared that it was just a standard screen requiring a mouse and keyboard.