ControlLogix ethernet

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi.
I have a L73 in a chassis with 3 EN2T cards and a ENBT card.
RSLogix 5000 version 20.
RSLinx version 2.59

Slot 0 = L73 Processor.
Slot 1 = EN2T 192.168.211.150
Slot 2 = EN2T 192.168.212.150
Slot 3 = EN2T 192.168.213.150
Slot 4 = ENBT 192.168.210.4

Each of the EN2Ts are connected to a ETAP2F which runs out to the field to connect to IO and a micrologix 1400.
None of the field items connected to the EN2Ts are required to communicate to each other, only to the L73 CPU.

The ENBT is to be used for programming and scada connection.
This is the port I have my notebook connected to.

The ETAPs are not configured, they are in the state they came out of the box. (169.254.1.1)

Problem 1:
I have set meesages in the L73 to communicate out the EN2T, through the ETAP, through the fibre, into a remote ETAP then to the micrologix 1400. This messaging is working until I give the ETAP's an address on the same subnet mask. ie if I communicate out slot 2 then if I set the IP address of the ETAP to 192.168.212.1 then the messages fail.

Problem 2: The major one.
I have a PF753, PF755 and some point IO hanging off the remote ETAP. This is on the 192.168.212.XXX subnet and has valid unique addresses.
These devices have been added to the tree in RSLogix 5000.
When I look at the tree using the ENBT I can see the local cards in the chassis but not the ETAPs or the remote IO.

I have read all the docs, help files etc. Am I missing something major here.

Regards Alan

Are you doing fibre ring on all devices?

Just a tip but I have seen etaps and switch's not show up in linx because of firmware compatability but they normally still comm.

I have had lots of intermittant comms problem from etaps and everything else was eliminated. Here we starded using switch's instead of etaps and have not had a isue since. I pulled out of 20 of them.

Also make sure you are doing a power cycle or reset from the web interface when you change the ip addresses.

Make sure everything is set static as all devices are set to dhcp out of the box.

Hi Kid
At present the system is not setup for a fibre ring. It is sitting in our workshop with only 1 remote unit connected (ie 2 ETAPs) so we are testing using the ETAPs as fibre to copper converters.
Regards Alan

I am sorry to interrupt but is there any limit in using ETAP, for example 4 ETAP's in a ring topology. Or even 2 ETAP's caused intermitant problems already?

We used them to control I/O in remote well buildings. We had runs that were about 2800 feet these were stratix 8000 - fibre - etap-copper-Flex I/O.

We had constant intermittant faults with themthat rockwell failed to resolve and we had the cables tested several times by diffent companies using different equipment.

After 6 months of problems and no real resolution we replaced the etaps with stratix 6000 switch's and have no had a single incident since.

Hi.
Found the problem. (my fault as usual)
I had the yellow connection fault icon mistaken with the icon for the items are not there icon.
There was something wrong with every node I had installed as far as the configuration went. Even having the HIM for a drive as version 1.006 instead of 1.007 stop causes grief. (I did have everything set for compatible mode)

The ETAPs are not my favourite bit of gear, takes forever to give them an IP address and they seem to have a mind of their own.

Regards Alan