panelview plus 1000

Here is a little more detailed description of the process to convert a .mer file to a .apa.

Create a new application in RSView Studio with the name that you want to restore your .mer application to, for this example let us use the name “Restored App”. The new application is stored at: “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\Restored App\”

Upload the .mer file from the panelview plus using the file transfer utility provided with RSView Studio. Run the uploaded .mer application on your PC. You will get a warning most likely that you current license will only work for two hours, then you will get a warning stating that you have too many screens to run on your current license. These warnings are fine this will still work. Anyways, once it has been opened it extracts all the files from the .mer file into the following directory: “C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00\”

Select all the files within the “~MER.00” directory and copy them into the “Restored App” directory overwriting all the files in the “Restored App” directory. Now go and open the RSView Studio and select Restored App. Like I mentioned before you will certainly lose the alarm messages, but you can open the M_Alarms directory and read the MachineAlarms.mal file in notepad.

I have an unrelated question about uploading a .mer file from a running touchscreen and converting it to an .apa file that can be restored for use in RSView Studio

The next release of RSView Studio ME (CPR9) is scheduled to include a utility that will allow the upload of a .mer file and conversion to .med.

The software that Rockwell is calling (among other things) "CPR9" is due out this fall sometime. They'll have a better schedule announcement in June at the RSTechED event.

*.MER -> RSView Studio project conversion will be done by the Application Manager, just like restore and backup and archive functions are now. When you create a runtime, you will have the option of making it extractable Always, Never, or with a password. This will help protect OEM intellectual property and also allow for the more common circumstance when the project file is lost or unavailable.