Barcode reader - OPC

Bar code scanner to OPC or PLC or BOTH!

We have a product called DeviceMaster UP, which effectively allows a serial device AND an Ethernet device the ability to communicate simultaneously to the PLC via it's native Industrial Ethernet networking protocol (Ethernet/IP, PROFINET, Modbus/TCP) and via TCP/IP to an application (OPC).

If you'd like additional details, please contact me directly, or feel free to do a web search on DeviceMaster UP.

You can use any RS232 bar code reader (we use the Dragon D101) and for example a converter RS232/Profibus DP from Siemens 6ES7158-0AA01-0AX0

If your panel has usb ports like newer Siemens panels and the scanner suports keyboard wedge you should be able to connect the scanner this way. The downside with this connection i think would be that you need to have the right input field selected for the data to be transfered correctly to the panel.

In a recent project we used scanners and distributed rs232/dp gateways from Sick i belive that the have gateways for the most common field buses this requiers more hardware and programming but it would give you a more flexible solution

Depends on the application. I use them for data entry on our PC based systems not for scanning boxes going down a conveyor. These units are USB and the computer sees them just like a keyboard so no software needed unless your using a special code.

www.waspbarcode.com