RS Logix Activation and RS Linx

rick2517

I have never installed RS Logix or RS Linx before. I want to be able to use my RS Logix on several computers (but never on more than one at a time). I understand that I need to copy the Activation File to the activation directory on each of my computers and then attach the "dongle" to the computer that I will be using at any one time. I understand that a dongle is a device that must be connected to my computer while the program runs. My question is what is the best thing to use as a dongle? Do I use a floppy disk. Can I use a CD as my dongle?
Also, is RSLinx Lite OK for me to use when communicating with a PLC processor or do I need to use RSLinx Classic?
Thanks for somebody's help.

Rick,

There is no "dongle" associated with RsLogix. Included with your software is a "master disk". The master disk contains the "activation" for your software, commonly referred to as your "software key". Using the "EV-Move" utility included with your software, you can move your "key" from PC to PC as often as you'd like. I don't know if this is still the case, but in the past I have had my key on one PC and was able to open RsLogix on another PC if I had my master disk in the floppy drive of the PC that did not have the key.

As for as going online with a controller, RsLinx Lite will work just fine. There is no master disk for Linx Lite, as it is included with your RsLogix software.

One more thing, be sure that you have no RsLogix programs running when you attempt to use EV-Move.

Hope this helps,

Jeff