Wireless Temperature

Freak

Hi All - I have an application where I need to reliably meassure the surface temperature of a filler to indicate that it has reached 80DegC, this is stainless stell and I cannot penetrate it. I then need to get this info to a remote mounted PLC. This is where it starts to get messy, the filler has a PLC that is S7, in fact thtere are 2, one ont he bowl that I need to measure the temp on and the other mounted remotely. The 2 PLC's talk to each other. I need to get the temperature back to a CLX processor that is quite some distance away, however, it does have devicenet nodes very close. I don't have any spare AI/O on the S7 gear and it isn't imperative that the filler knows that it has reached the set temp as this is controlled by the CLX.

So in a nutshell, I am after a relatively cheap, reliable surface mounted wireless temp probe that I can get the signal back to either a DeviceNET node or the CLX processor.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if this would be your definition of cheap but it would cost less then $1M.

Here is an example of a Banner Engineering SureCross wireless node measuring temp and RH at a location and then that info sent wireless back to the gateway. With the use of a GatewayPRO on Ethernet IP we could get that data into your CLX processor. Look at the link below and watch the video.

Example Link 1

Here is another example where we are doing the exact same thing, but on a much larger scale. These energy plants will use lots of these temp nodes throughout the process. In this example we are using the GatewayPRO talking ModbusTCP which then will feed the data directly into their PI Historian.

Example Link 2

These are real world examples that I am working on. No marketing mumbo jumbo fluff, just real projects with real things happening.

Joe_WaZoo

1) cheap and
- reliable
- wireless
- devicenet
are mutually contradictory.

What is you upper budget limit?

Hi All - I have an application where I need to reliably meassure the surface temperature of a filler to indicate that it has reached 80DegC, this is stainless stell and I cannot penetrate it.
Can you attach an RTD or thermocouple to the surface of the filler?

3) If you send a temperature signal wirelessly as 4-20mA, can you convert a 4-20mA to devicenet at the receiving end?

Dan

Distance is short but the filler rotates, so cabling no good. There is a s7 on the filler itself but it has no spare I/O, I could look at putting another block on tehre.

I've never done this , but it seems to me that there should be an infra-red temperature sensor available that can remotely read the temperature of a surface, and provide some sort of analog signal. You could monitor this signal with a DeviceNet Analog Input module, of which there are many manufacturers. I just don't know off the top of my head where to get an IR temp sensor like this.

If you could find a temp sensor that put its data on a modbus or profibus telegram, you could read that with one of your siemens plc's, but then you will have to set up some communication between those and the CLX. This will require installation of some gateway or protocol converter.

$

I am currently working on a project which is to measure vibration and temperature of plant (Mills and large motors).
I am using some "Zigbee" (2.4ghz) wireless transmitters to send this information as the cable runs would have been long. I am using modbus rtu into a Siemens S7 (Interface card expensive)but I am sure this could be done quite cheaply/more simply if you only have one point to measure.
The wireless bit would take care of the rotation, the transmitter is the size of a calculator and I use self adhesive pt100's, with a little epoxy resin to hold the leads firm. None have come off yet!
Kit supplied by "Industrial interface" in the UK.

Last thought - I used to work for a brewer who had a rotary keg filler. It used 2 slip rings to control everything via profibus.

Last edited:
Wireless Solution (Battery Powered Xmitter)

We had tooling frames with a critical process temperature setpoint. The frames were moved around a manufacturing cell by a 6-axis robot. The frames were detached in a heating process, and no wiring was available.

We used these Honeywell Xmitter/Rec combinations. Batteries last for a couple of months (24/7)

VERY ROBOUST Solution.

http://hpsweb.honeywell.com/Culture...ation/xyr5000wireless/XYR5000Temp/default.htm

Money4nothing - Infrared Genius five minutes on the net and there are several options. I think i will go that way, thanks for the help

IR Caveat(s)

Your OP used the word "reliably".

IR while non-contact will be subject to considerable variance based on Emmisivity.

Also, watch for measurment variance over time as the window on the front of an IR sensor may accumulate contamination.

A contact thermocouple (then subsequent wireless link to a analog output receiver), proved to be the most accurate, and reliable for us.

Sounds like you want to monitor CIP cleaning temperature on that filler. I did a similar thing with these surface mount sensors and transmitters: http://www.ifmefector.com/ifmus/web/dsfs!TR2432.html http://www.ifmefector.com/ifmus/web/dsfs!U60116.html
However, no wireless, I mounted the sensor to the 2" infeed pipe as close as I could get to the bowl. Data was read by a Compactlogix 4-20mA card and plotted as a trend on a panelview+. Operators printed the chart for a hardcopy of the cleaning opeartion each day. Hope this helps.