Creating FT View SE Station Backup

smohamed

Hello All,

I was looking to get some assistance/advice on a particular upgrade we are trying to complete.

We currently have a SCADA system running a FactoryTalk View SE Server on one machine (server computer) and FactoryTalk View SE Client on another machine (view node).

Since we only have one server, our clients wanted us to create a backup system in case the system goes down. Due to cash limitations, we had the idea of creating a FactoryTalk View SE Station application and running it on a laptop in the case of an emergency. The process is not critical that we needed a failover right away, we could have some time for this laptop to boot up and assume control of the SCADA.

My question is, what is the best way to approach putting the program on the new laptop? We assume that since it is a server/client we cannot simply take a backup from the server and restore it on our station machine. Our plan of approach would be:

1. Export Tag/Alarm Database from Server/Import Tag/Alarm Database to Station Machine
2. Add screens from previous application to Station Application via "Add component ..."
3. Configure communication to match communication configuration of previous system.
4. Run application to test for bugs, etc.

I feel that it is not as easy as I've laid it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you require any more information.

Thanks.

There is HMI backup and restore utility which will backup running SE server applications.

Actually, it is even easier than that; the *.SED file contains all the information and pointers to migrate the whole project at once.

From the RA Knowledgebase document #49249:

1 - In FactoryTalk View Studio, create a new SE Stand-alone application.
2 - Give a name to your application.
3 - Select Import...
4 - Select RSView Supervisory Edition project (*.sed)
5 - Point to the existing area project file that you want to convert and select the *.sed file.

Even easier? I'll have to definitely take a look into it.

Thanks for the pointers!!!

I'll let you all know how it turns out, or be back with more questions!

Shamir

hello everyone, i have a question... can i backup a machine edition project and reinstall it later in to another pc? thanks a lot :D

If it is SE station as the OP posted and not distributed then you can use the applicaion manager and make a .apa file.

Distributed you must use the.sed method.

Hello all,

I have an issue almost similar to above topic, hope I can find a solution here.

I am developing a local application Factory talk view (local station), and now I would like to transfer it to new PC to run it as client.

I have backed up my current application and copy it to my new pc. I have also restored in new pc and created a new client wizared and and tried to run it but it did not work. we couldn't see any tags.

my question is, how can I transfer the application to the new pc in order to run it as client? did I do the right thing here? if so, what did I missed?

Thanks and appreciate your response in advance.