Start using 1769 L33ER, assign IP address

S7PP

Hi Guys,

First time using Rockwell CompactLogix PLC, I have no idea how to assign IP address to it.
Now PLC is powered up, only 1 "OK" light is ON but red.
It conected through a Stratix 8000 Ethernet switch, I assigned IP for the switch, but not able to see the PLC at all.
I connect it with Ethernet Cable directly tp PLC, it says the local Ethernet cable is unpluged.
I also tried BOOTP, it also not working.

Please help.

Thanks a lot.

Isn't this one of the new ones with a USB port? Go online with that and assign a IP address.

It *should* automatically install a USB driver. What version of 5000 were you trying to use?

OK. That's fine. Use a crossover cable or through the switch with BootP should work and give you the mac id of the processor. A crossover cable may not be needed, I don't know if the Ethernet port on this processor takes care of that.

It did instaaled USB driver. cheers

I see the PLC in RSLink.

But not able to on-line because PLC type different

Should I do firmware update?

The off the shelf CPU is loaded with "Boot Firmware", probably Rev.1.xy; this level is not "operational" and it is usually upgraded to the user's choice of firmware.
You will have to upgrade the firmware to the level of your RSLogix 5000 software revision, in your case Revision Level 20.xy.
Be very careful when "flashing" the CPU firmware; any communications glitch could "brick" the processor; ensure permanent connectivity between the RSL5K running PC and the CompactLogix CPU.

As dmargineau has stated be careful it is easier to "brick" the controller than you think. I wouldn't use the USB to flash the Firmware. Use Ethernet. I just tried flashing a L18 processor over USB and it seemed to go well but the processor locked up and it never came back.

Also make sure that you have just the Power Supply, Processor and End Cap connected when you do the flash. You shouldn't have any I/O cards connected.

I tried 2 times today and was not successful. Both time was stopped after step 1 maybe and told me that the controller is not on the proper mode to accept the update. Then I have to "manually reset" and lost IP address. I'm afraid something bad happens and couldn't try any more.

The modern CompactLogix (like the L18) are a little different in the way the Ethernet port works.

On the older models, you had to drill down past the Ethernet daughtercard to the CompactLogix 'bus', then to the CPU in virtual Slot 0.

With the 5370 series controllers, select the first place you see the controller during the RSWho browse (either over USB or Ethernet). Don't drill down to the backplane and the controller instance on the backplane, or you will get that 'wrong mode' error code.

Also check the mode toggle switch, of course, to be sure it's not in RUN mode.

A good RA Technote is 490826 (Access Level: Everyone).