Using the MSG Instruction to access drive attributes

muzakki

Hello All

I have a Kinetix 5500 Drive connected to a CompactLogix 5370 controller.

There are 3 ways to access servo-specific attributes
- GSV/SSV
- MSG
- Axis Tags

One of the parameters I want to acceess, is marked as MSG-only.
I have created a MESSAGE type, selected CIP Generic and Get Attribute Single as Service Type.
Now my problem is that I don't know what to put in the Instance, Class and Attribute fields.
In the datasheet can only see an Signal Attribute Access ID for the attribute I want access to.

Can anyone give me a hint?

Best Regards
Muzakki

Please specify the exact datasheet publication number and describe the exact attribute you want to read.

I don't see any CIP object information in the ordinary 2198-UM001 User Manual, so you are probably looking at another document.

I am reading the reference manual: "Integrated Motion on the EtherNet/IP Network", and I want access the Motion Axis Attribute: "Total Inertia Estimate", which is listed on page 39 having ID 821.

Page 49 in the same document has a section called: "Access with an MSG Instruction", which says: "If you need to find Attribute and Class IDs related to drives, refer to the
specific drive documentation.", which I don't know where to find.

I think I understand.

That reference manual (MOTION-RM003) includes a lot of Attribute numbers for the CIP Axis Object, but fails to explain the basic values for the Class and Instance of the CIP Axis Object.

The CIP Motion Axis object is Class code 0x42.

Try:

Class = 0x42
Instance = 0x01
Attribute = 0x335 (821 decimal)

Last edited:
Thanks.. will give it a try tomorrow.

You found the values from page 50 on the example on Input Filtering?

Do you think that all messages will require the same Instance and Class no.?

Actually, I was working from an older copy of the MOTION-RM003 manual that did not have the example on Page 50. I looked up the CIP Axis Object's structures in an old copy of the CIP Specification.

But I'm glad to see I came to the same conclusion !

The parameters you want to read with MSG instructions should all be different Attribute values, but the same Class 0x42 and Instance 0x01.