FTView Studio / Administration Console Crashes

akirajunto

I have just installed FTView Studio, Client, and Server on a Versaview Panel (Windows 7).

I cannot open FTView Studio or Administration Console, it always crash.

In the diagnostic viewer, it says

(RSDbgUtils,RTE_ERROR_CRITICAL,process:VStudio.exe) VStudio experienced an unrecoverable anomaly. Please contact Rockwell technical support.

or

(RSDbgUtils,RTE_ERROR_CRITICAL,process:FTSPVS~1.exe) FTSPVS~1 experienced an unrecoverable anomaly. Please contact Rockwell technical support.

Please, help... I cannot find the answer anywhere. I cannot contact Rockwell tech support right now, there is some issue with my Rockwell account.

The first answer for anything Rockwell, is to:
A) Reformat the hard drive, reinstall the OS, install all OS updates, and try the Rockwell install again.
or
B) Completely uninstall EVERYTHING Rockwell (No, the uninstallers don't do this), reboot, look for Rockwell leftovers, delete, check event log, fix those problems, install OS updates, reboot, and try to reinstall FTView.

The first answer for anything Rockwell, is to:
A) Reformat the hard drive, reinstall the OS, install all OS updates, and try the Rockwell install again.
or
B) Completely uninstall EVERYTHING Rockwell (No, the uninstallers don't do this), reboot, look for Rockwell leftovers, delete, check event log, fix those problems, install OS updates, reboot, and try to reinstall FTView.

Okay. I will try this. Now I am trying if the patch from Rockwell can fix this. (crossing fingers).

Thank you.

Is this a touchscreen VersaView ?

That error is a fairly general memory dump message, but I do know that one reason for it is if you're running the Windows Tablet Input Service.

To turn off the Tablet PC Input Service:

Go to Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services
Right-mouse click on Tablet PC Input Service and select Properties
Change the Startup Type to Disabled
Click Apply button at the bottom. Note: Do not close the Properties window yet
Click Stop button that is located in the middle of the window
Click OK button at the bottom to close the Properties window
Open Task Manager and confirm TabTip.exe - this is the program for Tablet PC Input Panel - is not listed.
If it is, highlight the process and click End Process button at the bottom

This is just a guess. I'd at least try it before doing a full OS reinstall.

Is this a touchscreen VersaView ?

That error is a fairly general memory dump message, but I do know that one reason for it is if you're running the Windows Tablet Input Service.

To turn off the Tablet PC Input Service:

Go to Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services
Right-mouse click on Tablet PC Input Service and select Properties
Change the Startup Type to Disabled
Click Apply button at the bottom. Note: Do not close the Properties window yet
Click Stop button that is located in the middle of the window
Click OK button at the bottom to close the Properties window
Open Task Manager and confirm TabTip.exe - this is the program for Tablet PC Input Panel - is not listed.
If it is, highlight the process and click End Process button at the bottom

This is just a guess. I'd at least try it before doing a full OS reinstall.

Yes, this is a touchscreen VersaView.

The patch did not work :(

I tried your solution also, Ken. The Tablet PC Input service is already stopped and manual to begin with. I changed it to disabled.
The error is still the same.

Hmmm.... what to do now?

Now, the OS re-installation. I cannot find the VersaView drivers for win7. The latest drivers available on rockwell website is for WinXP.
I don't have the guts to reinstall OS and hope the drivers will all be installed automatically by windows.

So now I am thinking about the OS update. Is this really a good idea?
In the FTView SE installation guide, it says we should disable all Windows update.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

It turns out that the Windows on-screen keyboard is the culprit.

I have been using the on-screen keyboard when I get around (because no physical keyboard is installed on the panel). I tried closing the on-screen keyboard before opening FactoryTalk Administration Console, it works!

LESSON LEARNED:

Do not use the on-screen keyboard with FTView.