Need Info

agoot

Hi Guys!
I'm just started learning PLC a few months but we've been introduced to a new C language programming which is this C+ microcontrollers and it seem a harder to understand compared to basic PLCs. Is there a site here that could provide me more info regarding this C+ Microcontroller? And basically whats the advantages of C+ Microcontroller against PLCs?

I'll be happy if you guys can help me out on this.

Thanks! :p

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to program a microcontroller using the C language.

Well programming a microcontroller using C is ver different to programming a PLC. But there's no simple answer to how to do it, because it depends entirely upon who makes the microcontroller, what software they supply, what operating system (if any) is installed on the microcontroller etc etc.

PLC's on the other hand have their manufacturers operating system installed in firmware, and ou just provide the application program, which when programmed in ladder is often very simple.

Programming a microcontroller in C, typically you have to do everything, including setting registers at startup etc if not done for you. You have to plan and implement a logical and secure program flow, and you have to program ever part of the program, usually virtually nothing is done for you.

So what are the advantages of both. Well PLC's are usually much simpler both for the programmer, and the maintenance guy who has to modify or maintain it at a later date. The downside is they are usually slower, and less versatile in what they will do.

A microcontroller is often very much faster, and because you have more control over the program flow etc can be much more versatile. Also the hardware costs are often lower. The downside is they are much harder to program, and because they tend to be made by smaller companies, you cannot guarantee that the microcontroller board you have chosen will continue to be available for any length of time.

I hope this helps (and hope I didn't completely miss understand the question)