SLC 5/04 to Ethernet

abright52

We have a SLC 5/04 that we would like to be able to connect to via Ethernet. The main goal is to use VPN to remotely monitor the PLC.

Rack Configuration (1746-A10)
0: 1747-L542C (SLC 5/04)
1: 1747-SDN (DeviceNet Scanner)
2: 1746-IA16 (16-Input)
3: 1746-IA16 (16-Input)
4: 1746-IA16 (16-Input)
5: 1746-OA16 (16-Output)
6: 1746-NI4 (Analog 4-Input)
7: 1746-NO4V (Analog 4-Output)

Controller Communications:
Driver: AB_KT-1
Route: Local
Processor Node: 1

This is communicating to a Pentium III Computer with a 1784-PKTX (DH+) card installed. This computer is running Wonderware.

We have considered the following options:
1. Use a 1761-NET-ENI
2. Upgrade to a SLC 5/05 - Can we still communicate to the computer with DH+?
3. Upgrade to a SLC 5/05 and install a NIC on the computer.

What would be the best way to achieve this task? I am open to any ideas.

Is the computer running Wonderware's 1784-PKTX driver, or is it running RSLinx as a data server ? If it happens to be running RSLinx, the most elegant thing to do is upgrade the RSLinx license to RSLinx Gateway, which will allow you to configure the Gateway functionality to allow remote PC's over TCP/IP to connect to the RSLinx 1784-PKTX DH+ driver.

If the PC is within about 50 feet of the SLC-5/04, I'd recommend just using an RS232 cable between the PC's serial port and the SLC-5/05, and using a "Remote COM port redirector" software like the one from Eltima Software to allow your remote PC to use the local PC's serial port.

Another similar method is to use a general-purpose Ethernet/RS232 converter from Moxa, Digi, or LanTronix to allow your remote PC to use a virtual serial port to go online with the SLC-5/04 via its serial port.

The advantage of the 1761-NET-ENI is simplicity; you can use the RSLinx Ethernet driver and not mess with virtual COM ports and redirector utilities. The ability to send messages from other RA controllers to this one seems not to be a consideration in this application.

So, in your opinion, the 1761-NET-ENI would be the easiest method to implement? It would also be the cheapest option, as well.

I am not sure exactly how the Wonderware computer is configured. It is not at my location and I have not been able to get my hands on it, yet. So, I am going to just assume that the RSLinx Gateway is not an option.

The PC is in a seperate enclosure. The wiring is all hard piped between the two, the total wire distance may be more than 50 feet.

If the monitoring computer is running Windows XP Pro and has RSLogix 500 installed on it, could you not simply VPN into the company network then use Remote Desktop to monitor the PLC?

The computer is only running Wonderware, it does not have Logix 500.

It would be better for us to VPN into their network and connect directly to the PLC with a local copy of Logix 500.

Is there a programming terminal on this DH+ network? How do you program the SLC5/04 now?

If you do upgrade, check to see what you can get a SLC5/05 for. You could update the Wonderware IO server to an ethernet version. Communications would be vastly improved over DH+. You could also then utilize the Ethernet connection for VPN access.

I just looked on ebay - a SLC 5/05 going off bid within the hour is going for around $350.

Last edited:
That price isn't bad considering what industrial equipment tends to run. Isn't ebay amazing, though? I've bought PLCs there, for testing in my home office and spare parts - they've all been solid.

Oakley said:
I just looked on ebay - a SLC 5/05 going off bid within the hour is going for around $350.