Communiccation cable for SLC 501

adeah

Dear All.

I have worked with SLC 5/04 and I use RS232 port to make a communication between PLC and my laptop. how about SLC 5/01?

is there any special cable to make a communication... such as PCMKcard-DH+ for DH+ protocol

Thanks for any info..

Best regards,
ade

Thanks for the info.

Is that mean I need a DH485 cable? Can I use a regular cable?

thanks

You need the 1747-UIC (USB to DH485 adapter).

Or you need the 1784-PCMK (PCMCIA DH+/DH485 adapter) plus the 1784-PCM4 (cable for PCMK/DH485).

The UIC is the cheapest of the two.

Actually,

Version A DOES work with DH-485. It just does not work with RIO.

David

and another way to skin the cat ...

Greetings Mordred,

I checked the excellent file you attached ... I can’t find either the 1747-UIC or the 1747-PIC listed ... am I just missing something? ... or is the list just for CABLES and not for the ADAPTERS too? ...

Greetings adeah,

just for completeness ... if have a computer with a built-in serial port, then you could consider buying a 1747-PIC adapter ... this is an older solution than the new 1747-UIC ... it plugs directly into your computer’s serial port and the other end plugs into the DH-485 port on the SLC-5/01 (or SLC-500 “fixed” or SLC-5/02 or SLC-5/03) ... you can often find these for about $50 on e-bay (make sure that it comes with the RJ-45 cable) ... the downside would be that when you’re eventually forced to move up to a computer with no built-in serial port, then the 1747-UIC is usually easier to live with than the 1747-PIC ... and just in case you didn’t know, the PCMK solution that you’re considering is about $1,500 list price ...

so the bad news is that you do need SOME type of adapter ... specifically, a simple “home brew” cable will NOT work ...

the good news is that you don’t really need the expensive PCMK ...

Hmmm the 1747-PIC is a pain in the butt when it comes to getting it working with serial ports, Windows XP and newer versions of RSLinx. AB has lots of recommendations for the problems I am having, such as uninstalling and re-installing the serial port (which is a real motherboard port, set to all the right settings). AB give a feeble note at the end which blames Microsoft and says thats about all we know at the moment! So if anyone has a fix for the 1747-PIC issue I'd love to know, if not then I have the PCMK version B, I just need to know the right part number for the adaptor which converts from the 9-way d-type to the RJ45 socket? Help please!!

bpfttb said:
Hmmm the 1747-PIC is a pain in the butt when it comes to getting it working with serial ports, Windows XP and newer versions of RSLinx. AB has lots of recommendations for the problems I am having, such as uninstalling and re-installing the serial port (which is a real motherboard port, set to all the right settings). AB give a feeble note at the end which blames Microsoft and says thats about all we know at the moment! So if anyone has a fix for the 1747-PIC issue I'd love to know, if not then I have the PCMK version B, I just need to know the right part number for the adaptor which converts from the 9-way d-type to the RJ45 socket? Help please!!

Buy a 1747-UIC.
See below for PCMK cable:

cableDH485.jpg

I don't have any issues with the ones that I sell... that said I would also take a look at the UIC that Mickey has pointed out.

What issues are you having? One thing that I do is only have the one driver installed on the PC that will be using the PIC, its a pain but not only do I not have them (the other drivers) running but I delete them then reinstall when needed.

You can try it, but as I said I don't have issues... other then when I make the wrong pin connection :oops:

The serial cable between the 1747-PIC checks out fine according to the spec given on AB's website. There is only one driver on the RSLinx to select for the 1747-PIC and I uninstalled the other drivers and even the serial ports .... No joy sadly! I use the DF1 for micrologix and the PCMK for SLC5/04 which work great on this PC. Messing with serial ports and drivers all the time will be a pain, I think the adaptor route will be best. Besides, I have a hard enough time with Simatic Manager and conflicts with serial ports as it is lol! Programming is easy, getting the damn comms to behave is the nightmare!