SLC 100/150 interface cables

DaarkHaart

Trying to communicate with an allen bradley slc 100 using a homemade interface cable. I have a B&B Electronics RS-232 to RS-422 converter, model 422lp9tb and have it connected as per their instructions and used the A-B 8 pin pinout obtained from this forum, however my laptop keeps telling me cannot communicate with slc. I am using Windows 95 through the serial port. I have tried to connect the converter straight and nulled but no luck. I have it connected:

Converter SLC
Tx-....................Rx- pin 2
Tx+....................Rx+ pin 1
Rx-....................Tx- pin 3
Rx+....................Tx+ pin 8

Have tried reversing it also.
It is frustrating, I am trying to avoid the $150 cable so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you're running the software in a DOS box through Win98? Try booting up in DOS mode. It's probably not working beacuse Windows and PCIS are bickering over the serial port... :nodi:

As this is O-L-D software, it will work best (or ONLY) on an O-L-D computer... :D

beerchug

-Eric

Thanks for the response, unfortunately it is saying that PCIS cannot be run in DOS mode, although it is running in a DOS window, hmmmmmmm. So any other suggestions?

OK so PCIS does work in DOS, oops.Even so I still can't get it to talk to my SLC. Hope someone can help.

Searched this forum for "SLC100" and found this.

Note the RXD,TXD differences compared to your setup.

Copied from an old post:

Using a Black Box Corp Short Haul modem Model 800A or similar
here are the connections.
Allen Bradley connector Black Box Corp. connection
pin 2 RXD- --------------- TXD+
pin 1 RXD+ --------------- TXD-
pin 3 TXD- --------------- RXD+
pin 8 TXD+ --------------- RXD-
pin 7 GROUND --------------- GROUND
The connections are transposed on the Black Box Corp. end.
The Txd+ goes to the Rxd- on the A-B Side.
The Txd- goes to the Rxd+ on the A-B side.
The Rxd- goes to the Txd+ on the A-B side.
The Rxd+ goes to the Txd- on the A-B side.

I believe a standard RS422 to RS232 converter would work if you
can't find the Short Haul Modem.

Try this link for additional cable info. The labeling is correct but just ignore the pin numbers on the left side (for the DB25 Protocol connector).
http://www.gefanuc.com/support/tcp/manuals/gl-cbl120.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, i don't know if I fried my converter by having the polarity reversed or what but it is still giving me a hard way to go. I think I'll get another converter and try again.

I'd give B & B a call before spending more $$$ on another converter. Their technical support people should be able to tell you how to do a loopback test of the converter to see if it is DOA for sure. A 422 should be forgiving enough to hold up to being hooked up bass ackwards. :eek: