Rockwell Components deliveries

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
All,

what has your experience been with Rockwell deliveries?
We have just been told we have to wait 11 weeks for an ML1100.

I ordered several 1756-OA16 components the first week of December and received the last one first week of February.

In November we ordered a 1756-DNB and recieved it first week of January.

We had a customer order RSLinx Classic....After a week they were given a 30 day temp license. They were told the sofware would take two weeks to get.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=53017

its due to problems mentioned on this thread

Okay that may be the reason for the MLl100, but what is going on with the rest of the stuff?

What Rockwell don't realize we integrators are bearing the brunt of customer anger with inability to supply components on time.

We have a customer that needs certain modifications done to their process . These mods require the existing SLC 5/05 16K they have being upgraded to a 32K CPU. We are told we have a 6 week delivery for a 32K SLC 5/05.

What do you tell a customer that has a contract to deliver a certain amount of product on time to their customer, we cannot implement the changes they need for at least two months?

Okay that may be the reason for the MLl100, but what is going on with the rest of the stuff?

What Rockwell don't realize we integrators are bearing the brunt of customer anger with inability to supply components on time.

We have a customer that needs certain modifications done to their process . These mods require the existing SLC 5/05 16K they have being upgraded to a 32K CPU. We are told we have a 6 week delivery for a 32K SLC 5/05.

What do you tell a customer that has a contract to deliver a certain amount of product on time to their customer, we cannot implement the changes they need for at least two months?

Tell them the truth. Tell them that there is a delay receiving the hardware. That you are working with your vendor to expedite delivery. That you will do the implementation as soon as you receive the hardware. That in the meantime you are preparing everything so that when the hardware does arrive you will have everything in place so you can install the upgrade quickly and they will be up and running.

Nothing is stocked in the UK any more. 'Just in time' is the order of the day, which is often 'just too late' when end users stock no spares. It's all about inventory cost-cutting.

It was explained to me that AB hardware is held in Holland with all the expediting done via Germnany, so if you order from your UK distributor the process literally does span the continent!

Think about it from a business cost management perspective.

If a manufacturer stocked equipment and parts, then there is a cost to it ... inventory control, real estate, building, taxes, manpower, etc.

If the manufacturer can facilitate a Just-In-Time process, then it lowers the costs associated ... making the business more profitable.

With that being said, they (the manufacturers) need to put controls in place to assure that the Just-In-Time manufacturing and delivery can be met.

So, where has Rockwell failed?
My guess is that the outsourcing that Rockwell does isn't working quite yet ... there is problems somewhere within the supply chain.

Rockwell needs to be up front with vendors, and vendors need to be up front with integrators, and the integrators need to be up front with the customers. If there are scheduling constraints, then the project managers need to account for that.

Think about it from a business cost management perspective.

If a manufacturer stocked equipment and parts, then there is a cost to it ... inventory control, real estate, building, taxes, manpower, etc.

If the manufacturer can facilitate a Just-In-Time process, then it lowers the costs associated ... making the business more profitable.

With that being said, they (the manufacturers) need to put controls in place to assure that the Just-In-Time manufacturing and delivery can be met.

So, where has Rockwell failed?
My guess is that the outsourcing that Rockwell does isn't working quite yet ... there is problems somewhere within the supply chain.

Rockwell needs to be up front with vendors, and vendors need to be up front with integrators, and the integrators need to be up front with the customers. If there are scheduling constraints, then the project managers need to account for that.

Our Rockwell Regional Manager told me they had to reduce inventorydue to reduced demand to survive last year. Where Rockwell got caught was not anticipating a recovery . Our business took off around June of 2009 after being non existant for the first part of 2009.

Right now we have a large contract to rebuild an ice cream plant that burnt down last fall. The big push is to get the plant in production before summer when most people are thinking of ice cream.

We want to use Rockwell, as does the customer, but the deliveries are forcing us to look elsewhere.