Connected Components Workbench

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

I am looking to use the new 800 series PLC by Rockwell, but I would like to have a look at the programming software.

I have read time and again that its free but I cant seem to find it anywhere on Rockwells website.

Has anyone got a link to download Connected Components Workbench, and has anyone had any experience using it.

Thanks

Mark

I was at a AB training session last week and was told that the first few modules and the software will be available shortly. They are ensuring that there are no software issues. The PLC software only crashed on my 3 times.

I was at the bethlehem automation fair and was able to lock the software and get a fatal exception error 2 times. Typical rockwell fist-release quality. As a side note they did mention a re-release party for the panelview component line. It used to lose your work for you if you had a communication error or timeout. The screen was terrible as well. I heard both problems are fixed. Hopefully it does not suck anymore....

I did notice however you cannot do anthingwith 850 which sux. I need cip communications over ethernet and that is the only line capable in this series.

I have found that the ladder style of programming is very different from RSLogix and also very cumbersome to use with any sort of efficiency. Hot keys help some, but adding a contact pops up a variable selector window, which takes a few seconds every time.

*Edit*
Also, I have noticed that creating programs eats up quite a bit of hard disk. A controller directory is created for every new program, a 20 rung program has used up 2.72 MB compared to about 44 KB using the closest Micrologix PLC programmed with RSLogix.

Last edited:
I have the software now throwing exceptions. A save attempt has caused all of the work to be lost, and the "saved" file is corrupted. To me, this is unusable.

Also, I have noticed that creating programs eats up quite a bit of hard disk. A controller directory is created for every new program, a 20 rung program has used up 2.72 MB compared to about 44 KB using the closest Micrologix PLC programmed with RSLogix.
That is absolutely ridiculous and totally unnecessay!!! Must have Microsoft programmers writing bloatware for them.
I have a program, complete with comments, running an automated power station with 6 diesel engines, load control, capacity control, all alarm points off analogues (about 50 per engine), 9 PLCs all with remotes and networked and the file (yes - 1 file) is about 500k. It is efficient.
I normally find a 40 rung program saves 1 file of about 20k.

A customer has just ordered several Micro 810's and so I have to get up to speed with it.
The software is garbage! It is nothing like RSLogix. It is just like microsoft visual studio. This is saying, HUGE, Bloated, Clumsy, Awkward, Inefficient, etc.
No way will I recommend this to anyone I like.

the screen programming is far better than the original e/net explorer online programming -
But
you can not verify the tags or screens until you are online with the screen
- a pain in the But

Hi all,

I am facing following problem after installing CCW9.0 software.

An error occurred while starting the debug engine. Please re-install the application or contact technical support.

Whenever I want to go online, I get this error message in Output window.

What is reason??

Thanks,
Shailesh

What connection are you using.
I'm just starting to use v 9 now.
Running Windows 7.

If you are running Windows 10. I don't know.

Leads to the obvious Question.
What version is your windows.

I use CCW9 on both windows/10 and windows/7, I have created ladder programs for the Micro810, Micro820, Micro830, (several different programs for each) I use Maple System HMI connected to micro820 for all of my "HMI Needs". Works great. (Have created several of my own functions using "ST") very versatile software.

As I have always said the "Help File" is how I learned to use and understand this software.

My OS is Windows 7 Professional SP1 32 bit. Currently, in my pc, I have installed RSlogix 5000 (upto 20.0) and Studio 5000 V21. All are working fine.

But CCW 9.0 isn't working. I installed it but I get msg when I start project "Factory Talk activation manager initialization failed. CCW will run as standard edition."

And while uploading and downloading software hangs.