retentive on delay timers

can some tell me how they work

Well you sure gave us a lot of information to work with.

A retentive timer measures total time for example an hours run meter.

An on delay delays an actuation for a set time. Generally the time delay is a constant value.

I cannot think of an occasion where you would want a totalizing time value for a time delay but I am sure it exists somewhere.

Dan Bentler

I wrote a simple washing machine program a few years ago as a learning experience. I used retentive on delay timers for the cycle time. That way if you had a need for 10 minutes of rinse, and you opened the lid, the machine would stop, and the timer would pause, once the lid was lowered the timer would resume, and the rinse cycle would continue until the 10 minutes of total time had elapsed.

Ken

They're often used in material handling. You might have a staging gate that drops after a certain time of a conveyor squaring material against it. If the conveyor stops for some reason you want to retain the time. Also used on the duration of dropping the gate as again, you want 'real' time of how long the gate is dropped WHILE the conveyor is running. If the conveyor stops you again retain the time.

I wrote a simple washing machine program a few years ago as a learning experience. I used retentive on delay timers for the cycle time. That way if you had a need for 10 minutes of rinse, and you opened the lid, the machine would stop, and the timer would pause, once the lid was lowered the timer would resume, and the rinse cycle would continue until the 10 minutes of total time had elapsed.

Ken

My retentive on delay is working in the forgot section of brain. I should have remembered this since you wrote the program in response to my student difficulties with simulated washing machine program.

Thanks for the help - again.

Dan Bentler

Do you have a particular PLC in mind or just Retentive On Timers in general?
IM in class and we use micro 1000

I need to make a program that when power is loss you must push a start button to restart the output from the timer and when the timing rung is false you cant reset the ACC value

Or perhaps select RTO.

How are you 'using' the MicroLogix 1000 if you don't have RSLogix? Or maybe you just don't know about the help files.

Last edited: