Allen Bradley Hardware Reset

aricard60

Hello,

I'm wondering if its possible to set up some logic, and eventually a HMI button to reset a Festo Valve Stack module after startup.

I have a system where 3 valve stacks' Ethernet connections are daisy chained together, and during start up the stacks later in the chain often don't come online correctly. This is easily fixed by going to the hardware properties inside RSLogix5000, under the Module Info tab and pressing "Reset Module."

I'm really hoping there's a simple way to accomplish this same thing, from the HMI...

Thanks in advance for your help!

R/

Andrew

If you have the EDS file registered, and Festo has commands that allow you to reset the module, then you'll be able to do it. It's not uncommon for devices to have commands other than I/O. Contact Festo for better info. I'm going to guess this isn't possible though, but definitely check with Festo.

If I recall, in your controller program, you should be able to trigger a specific MSG instruction directed to each of the modules, to initiate reset.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Are these CPX-FB36 EtherNet/IP adapters, or something else from Festo ?

I use the CPX-FB36 extensively but have never tried to daisy-chain their Ethernet connections.

There is definitely a Reset Module service code command you can send via EtherNet/IP explicit messaging.

But I'm very interested in what connection-related error is being shown by Studio 5000. If the controller can't communicate with the device, then a Reset command shouldn't matter because the device can't receive it.

But if there is something else wrong with the connection, like a "wrong state to perform service" status code or a rejected RPI request or something else, it makes sense that the Reset command would work.

All,

Thanks for the responses.

Ken: Yes we are using the CPX-FB36 modules. I'm onsite again now, and I tried to recreate the error I was seeing, but couldn't. I've seen it happen after a PLC download, and assumed it had to do with the start up.

Does anyone have examples of triggering the reset MSG instruction?

Thanks!

Andrew

If you create a new message instruction select CIP Generic for Message Type, then the service type is Device Reset.

That worked great for resetting the valve stacks!

Still having an issue with those modules though...

Sometimes after a power cycle, or device reset, the center stack in the daisy chain won’t connect to the network at all. The only fix I’ve found is physically going to the stack, removing the power cable and plugging it back in.

Any ideas?