Virtualbox Rockwell Activations

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
Running Windows 10 as a Host. Windows 7 as a Guest. RSLogix 5000 Versions 1-19 in Guest - Windows 7. Versions 20 on Host. Host is OK. Guest isn't. Tried to setup the way Rockwell recommended. Using the network names for the Guest to Host access. Not working. I'm sure something that I am missing. Anything I can try?
Thanks
George

I can't help you with this issue, but I do recommend running all plc, hmi, scada programs from a vm.

you get the vm working, make a backup and store it away.
the hard drive dies, just set up your new hard drive and copy the vm's back to the drive. say you moved it when asked, and your running.

james

James,
I'll have to see how much room I have on the VM Hard Drive. Then I'll have to move activation's over.
Andramalech,
I have it bridged. I can see files in my shared folder.
Thanks for the reply's.

George

Create a shared drive the works with the host and guest(s), put license there. In activation manager point to the shared drive.

Another way is to open a command line window in the guest and in the host. In each one type:

Code:
ipconfig

You will get several outputs. Look for something like this:

Code:
[B]Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8[/B]:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a:4130:22ed:1169%23
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : [B]192.168.3.1[/B]
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

This is your host only network. See if you can ping from your guest IP on that host-only network to your guest IP on your host only network and vice versa. If the two can ping each other, you should be able to just point the VM's FTA to the host's host only network. Configure the FTA on the host to act as a network server on the host only interface from the host's FTA, and you should be able to share licenses between all of your VM's just fine.

Still no luck. I talked to Rockwell again this morning. This time they gave me a 30 day activation to get help from my IT department. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Thanks

George

Create a shared drive the works with the host and guest(s), put license there. In activation manager point to the shared drive.

+1

You don't have to use Rockwell's default location to store licenses. You should be able to point the activation manager in your VM to the location of the licenses on your host. You can create a network folder or a shared folder to do this. So long as the VM has access to the folder, activation manager will be able to recognize the license.

Capture.PNG

So I created an E:\ Drive right to:
c:\users\Public\Documents\Rockwell Activation\Activations
Then I created a share as in your example. I can go into the E:\ drive on the Guest and look right at the .Lic files. I then went in and tried to add that to Rockwell Activations.
Thanks
George

Screen Shot.PNG

I can't help you with this issue, but I do recommend running all plc, hmi, scada programs from a vm.

you get the vm working, make a backup and store it away.
the hard drive dies, just set up your new hard drive and copy the vm's back to the drive. say you moved it when asked, and your running.

james

This is the best solution that I have found. But after 6 - 12 months, when you spin up the VM (assuming that you don't update the backups) the VM spends the first 4 hours downloading updates and installing them.

It's fine if you don't need the VM running IMMEDIATELY.

We have 2 VMs that are kind of important that we update backups once a week, on Wednesday, before the latest windows updates are loaded in.

This is the best solution that I have found. But after 6 - 12 months, when you spin up the VM (assuming that you don't update the backups) the VM spends the first 4 hours downloading updates and installing them.

It's fine if you don't need the VM running IMMEDIATELY.

We have 2 VMs that are kind of important that we update backups once a week, on Wednesday, before the latest windows updates are loaded in.

Now, this is a great IT question.

I like to keep my VMs current and my back ups "current", but if I'm in a jam, I'm turning off windows update until I've completed my emergency task.

That said, if your system is way out of date, keep it off the net. (AKA, all WinXP shouldn't hit the net ever, after the last update given.)