VPN with ControlLogix 1756-ENBT ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Is anyone out there using VPN networking to access ControlLogix systems through 1756-ENBT modules ? Have you been successful ?

I have a project where a SonicWall SOHO3 firewall/VPN applicance has been installed at the customer site and has been connected to a DSL line through a Netopia DSL router.

The SonicWall is using NAT to translate between the internal nonroutable addresses (192.168.1.101, etc) and the single exposed IP address.

I have the VPN client software on my PC, and it appears to work correctly. Using VPN from home, I can PING the three PC's on the remote internal network, and log onto their Windows 2000 shared folders with no trouble.

But I cannot use any of the services that the 1756-ENBT offers; it doesn't respond to PING, or HTTP requests, or to the RSLinx Browse.

It does all of those things when I'm plugged into the local Ethernet. But not when I use VPN over the Internet. I've tried a couple of different client PC's using dialup, cablemodem, and corporate LAN connections to the Internet, all without success.

I'm not asking for troubleshooting help, but rather for any examples of successful installations of this type using SonicWall or other VPN appliances with RSLinx.

Maybe key word is: SonicWall SOHO3 firewall, how can go truth of it. Have you URL for it manuals ? I don't know can I help, but sounds intresting case, becourse I have ADSL modem and Firewall-switch for Intranet. Sometimes I need contact to databases on the road.

1756-ENBT

At our plant we have 1756-ENBT modules and the 1756-DHRIO modules, but no controllogix processor. Over our LAN I am able to get to any device on any of the DH+ networks. We also have the same setup in Mexico which I can get to through our local WAN.

I can and have many times, used VPN with a modem dialup to access both of our plants. We have both PLC5s and SLC5/04 on our DH+ networks.

Not sure what information you want other then it does work. I also do not know anything about our firewall.

: slaps forehead :

It turns out the 1756-ENBT had it's "Default Gateway" set to 0.0.0.0. When we plug into the local network, we can communicate with it no problem. When we have to use the firewall, the Default Gateway setting needs to be set to the internal network address of the firewall applicance.

On our internal network:

SonicWall: 192.168.1.254
Computer 1: 192.168.1.111
Computer 2: 192.168.1.112
1756-ENBT: 192.168.1.5

Now the firewall works fine with the SonicWall VPN client on my machine via dialup or via broadband. Chalk one success up for SonicWall.