VMWare Network issue

The interface # for his wired card is probably different than yours.

So in the format of this command
route change 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.250 metric 5 IF 20
IF 20, is specifying interface 20 for the route.

Do a route print on his machine, look for the Interface list at the top, find the wired card and I bet it isn't 20. Try the command again(don't use -p until you know it works, that way you can just restart the computer to clear it) using the correct interface number.

Ok so I checked and the interface is indeed 20. Any other thoughts? I am also curious what the "metric 5" does, because it's not setting the metric at 5 obviously...

Route_Print_Wifi_On.jpg

Ok, dumb question, you aren't putting both these laptops online at the same time w/ the same IP address are you?

Not a dumb question because I'm retarded with networking. But no, I'm not quite that retarded. The PLC is wired straight to the laptop, no other devices on the network.

whoa, that's wild. Ok,
route -f to remove all the routes,
Then do the command again, but use route change and not route add

Aha, so it hasn't repopulated the routes yet. Go ahead a restart the computer, then do a route print(w/ both cards connected and turned on) and see if you have a normal route to 10.10.10.0 for both the GW and the onlink.

Restarting seemed to do the trick. Thanks! Oh and I'm still wondering what "metric 5" part of the command does, because it doesn't set it at 5....Can you explain that to me?

Aha, so it hasn't repopulated the routes yet. Go ahead a restart the computer, then do a route print(w/ both cards connected and turned on) and see if you have a normal route to 10.10.10.0 for both the GW and the onlink.

Ok....so now I'm losing my patience with this. This morning I was connecting fine (we're back to my laptop). Now this afternoon, I can't connect to anything over ethernet even with WiFi turned off. I have tried restarting the laptop. MY adapter is set to static IP 10.10.10.250 and I can't connect to anything at all. I tried hard lining to a couple different devices that I knew the IP of, and it wont ping. I attached a route print.

Route_Print_Wifi_On.jpg

Ok so even though the route I added is still listed as persistant, when I just did a tracert command with my PLC as the destination, I appears as though it's going over the WiFi adapter again? Please see pic...

Route_Print_Wifi_On.jpg

So it looks like the interface for my ethernet adapter is now 21 instead of 20. WTF!!!! Why is this dynamic? This route change will not work if my ethernet keeps changing interfaces. Any clue why this is happening? More importantly, can you tell me how to make it stop?

Huh, that's hmm..

So, one thing you could try...

Remove the other persistant route w/ route delete and then

Set a very specific route to the PLC(s) directly. Let's say the PLC is 10.10.10.25 for this example

route -p add 10.10.10.25 mask 255.255.255.255 10.10.10.250 metric 1

This *should* take priority over everything else, however the issue you might be having is there might be a 10.10.10.250 somewhere olse that your WIFI gateway can route to. If that's the case, you're pretty much screwed without talking to whomever manages your router.

Huh, that's hmm..

So, one thing you could try...

Remove the other persistant route w/ route delete and then

Set a very specific route to the PLC(s) directly. Let's say the PLC is 10.10.10.25 for this example

route -p add 10.10.10.25 mask 255.255.255.255 10.10.10.250 metric 1

This *should* take priority over everything else, however the issue you might be having is there might be a 10.10.10.250 somewhere olse that your WIFI gateway can route to. If that's the case, you're pretty much screwed without talking to whomever manages your router.

The problem with this solution is we have 4 or 5 devices on the 10.10.10.0 network. We usually go in increments of 10....So 10.10.10.10 , 10.10.10.20, etc.

I just plug in to the switch and can talk to all of them. So I need to route the whole 10.10.10.0 network.

Please, I'm begging you, please tell me the difference between metric 1 and metric 5. What does this part do? Metric 5 was setting the metric at 15. I don't understand....

The problem with this solution is we have 4 or 5 devices on the 10.10.10.0 network. We usually go in increments of 10....So 10.10.10.10 , 10.10.10.20, etc.

I just plug in to the switch and can talk to all of them. So I need to route the whole 10.10.10.0 network.

Please, I'm begging you, please tell me the difference between metric 1 and metric 5. What does this part do? Metric 5 was setting the metric at 15. I don't understand....

Well that is because windows is helpfully setting your metrics partially automatically.
see here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-the-automatic-metric-feature-for-ipv4-routes

Other thing you could try, set the manual metric for BOTH adapters. Make the wired 10, and the wireless 160 or so.