CompactLogix I/O expansion

Jim Diesel

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to add more IO to a CompactLogix 1769-L30ER, currently I'm using all 8 of the local expansion modules. I need to add one 1769-IA16 and one 1769-0A16 module, the current enclosure unfortunately will not handle anymore expansion so a new enclosure right next to the current one would be needed. My first thought was to upgrade to a L33ER and use a Compact IO bus expansion cable, but it looks like these cables only go to a maximum of 3'.

Looking for some options, does the L30ER or L33ER support remote I/O if so how is this achieved with Rockwell components?

Thanks!!

Thank you!

After some research, it supports the IO modules I want to add. Another question is on the controller, the specs says it can only handle 8 expansion modules. Does that include remote IO modules as well or just the local bus of the controller?

Manual says 8 local expansion modules. So it is for the local ones. For the remote IOs you will have limitation on the number of Ethernet/IP nodes, which is 16 for L30ER.

Another question is on the controller, the specs says it can only handle 8 expansion modules. Does that include remote IO modules as well or just the local bus of the controller?

No the 8 module limit is for the local I/O only. You can add remote I/O using the 1769-AENTR. It is a very simple thing to add to you system. In addition to the AENTR and I/O Modules you want to use, you will need to add a 1769 power supply and a 1769-ECR to complete your remote rack.

After you have it installed you just add the AENTR to the I/O Tree in Studio 5K, then add the I/O under that. Your I/O tags will be added to your program with the name like Remote_IO_Name:Module #.(I or O).DATA. Example RIO_1:1.I.DATA.0.

Hope this helps

You could use Point I/O (1734) in a similar manner but a different form factor. It all depends on how firmly invested you are in 1769 I/O.

Keith

You could use Point I/O (1734) in a similar manner but a different form factor. It all depends on how firmly invested you are in 1769 I/O.

Keith

Or Flex and Flex 5000 adapters and I/O. Personally I'm a fan of the Point I/O stuff. Flex is nice if you want to save a tiny bit of space, and you want less dense wiring.

Keith

I second this option. I have numerous CompactLogix racks which communicate with 1734 pointIO racks in the field. They're easy to configure over ethernet and provide the same capability as the local 1769 modules.