PLCNext: anybody have any experience with them?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member

We are considering them as they have .Net Integration. I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with them, and what they think.

A good rule to live by is to not purchase any new item unless it has been on the market for 12-18 months.

I have never heard of these.
if you are an oem, I would go to your customer and see what they want and are familiar with.

if it's for your company, I would see where their vendors are, what is in their warehouse, cost of software, learning curve, see if you can find out about their customers

if you already know Allen Bradley for example and have the software, why change? cost is a factor, but I would keep the AB plc computer away from the plcnext software. you never know if they will play together or destroy each other.

james

I saw a demo of them at a trade show last fall and they seem very cool. I like the ability to have more freedom in programming languages and IIOT/ IOT integration capabilities. Also the NEXT store is a great idea. That being said, not my first choice as they are still pretty new and haven't had a chance to work directly with them.

I have never heard of these.
if you are an OEM, I would go to your customer and see what they want and are familiar with.
We are not a custom machine builder. We build turnkey / cradled to the grave machines. Our customers never touch our machines, maintenance wise. Most of our business model is based on IoT and Web services and Reporting. We need something from a development perspective to make our lives easier.

if you already know Allen Bradley for example and have the software, why change? cost is a factor, but I would keep the AB plc computer away from the plcnext software. you never know if they will play together or destroy each other.
Does Allen Bradley allow you to write C++ and .Net Function Blocks??? Does it let you access the Controller OS and run your own software on it? (The later yes on one controller, it is windows only and costs a mint, but not the former)

Besides I like to learn if I'm not learning and challenging myself then I am miserable.

Does Allen Bradley allow you to write C++ and .Net Function Blocks??? Does it let you access the Controller OS and run your own software on it?

Nope, why not build your own given how much control you want? You might be more interested in a mobile controller that provides C functionality. Perhaps a step closer to what you're looking for but I have a feeling not quite.

Both Beckhoff and B&R allow creation of custom C++ function blocks and are more established platforms, especially Beckhoff with its large selection of controllers, fieldbuses and I/O components.

Saw them first at Embedded World in February. The platform seems really flexible and looks similar to Opto22's Groov platform.
Wanted to buy one but it seems to be pretty expensive so maybe in year or two they have more economical versions.

With many more programmers coming from PC computer world and engineers with more than basic ladder programming skills getting involved into machine building these kind of platforms will become more much popular in future.

We are considering them as they have .Net Integration. I am wondering if anyone else has any experience with them, and what they think.

Reviving an old post, but I'm wondering if you ever did get into PLCnext? I got into their early adopter program in Fall 2018. Only in the last few months have I spent much time with it. I have one in production at the moment, and plans for several more in 2020.

No I'd love to, But since all of our existing stuff is AB, and the price point is comparable it's been a no go from management.

Trying to get in to some Wago PLCs using codesys if I can get the distributor to give me a good enough price to justify it to the bosses.

I would definitely look into B&R or Beckhoff depends how has better support in your area. I spend hours with Beckhoff support at the beginning, they are really responsive and helpful. Both platforms offer C/C++ and great IoT solutions.

Both Beckhoff and B&R allow creation of custom C++ function blocks and are more established platforms, especially Beckhoff with its large selection of controllers, fieldbuses and I/O components.

Old post, but yeah, if still looking into this or anyone else is, I would certainly recommend Beckhoff. They have full support of everything mentioned right out of the box.

Last edited:
I haven't done any C/C++ programming. I have been working in C# and PLCnext works nicely with that.

As an integrator/end user who does not have AB equipment already, PLCnext is definitely cheaper for us because of the free software. PLCnext is not all that expensive.

As far as comparing to B&R or Beckhoff, I see them mentioned but haven't come across them in the field. I don't know of a supplier for either of them. We use a lot of Phoenix Contact I/O and wiring components so we already have a good working relationship with our supplier and PC support.

Last edited:
Going to revive this post again. What are your opinions of PLCnext Engineer? Trying to decide if it is clunky, or I am just not used to it. Has anyone tried the add-on Modbus library? Seems like a lot of programming is involved just to be a Server.