Logix Designer V30 vs V31

crawler009

Hi folks

for our new projects we want to go to the Logix L81 CPU.
Now we are comparing Logix Designer V30 and V31.

• Logix Designer V30 has still the old (pre V30) look and feel, but runs smoother and faster.
  • Logix Designer V31 has this new (and ugly, but doesnt matter so much) interface. It has improved the Structured Text programming, also better tab management but it seems to run slower. On the other hand, all the sucessors of this version will have this UI, so better get used to it as soon as possible.

My question: Do somebody of you already work with V31? Are there some mayor bugs compared to the V30, or is it stable and ready to use it for real projects?

Edit: I just saw there is a V32. Any experiences?

Last edited:
We made the transition to v31 - I personally find it so much better. However, it crashed a lot.

v32 has fixed those issues, but check there is firmware available for your controller though - it's not out for all of them yet.

If you do a great deal in ST, then v31+ is definitely the way to go.

v31 is required to work with the 5069 series of Guardlogix so I've been using it as of late. Haven't run into any difficulties (no crashes), just the layout and look is slightly different. I'm sure there are other changes that I haven't noticed. I run in Win7 Pro direct, no VMs.

I personally find it so much better. However, it crashed a lot.

I hope that in ten years time we tell the new guy that the software that looks after important machinery was so buggy that we could make statements like this. They won't believe us of course, so we will have to link them to this post from 2019.

I've been using v32 a lot over the past few weeks. I've gotten used to the changes and rather like them. However, since they totally redesigned the menu for configuring things on the tree, I have not been able to successfully configure a 525 to have more than the default datalinks... it just doesn't work. So beware!

I've been using v32 a lot over the past few weeks. I've gotten used to the changes and rather like them. However, since they totally redesigned the menu for configuring things on the tree, I have not been able to successfully configure a 525 to have more than the default datalinks... it just doesn't work. So beware!

rupej, version 31 or version 32? The s/w took a big leap in looks and interaction with v31, can we expect yet another big change with v32? (I've downloaded it but haven't used it yet).

I skipped v31 and went straight to v32. But v32 is basically the same from my understanding- mostly bug fixes.

In reference to V31 crashing. I had it crashing a lot and after talking with 3 different RW employees the last guy told me to uninstall all updates for .NET through windows update, and so far that has helped the issue.

Also there is a known issue using the watch window - if this is opened and you edit a tag - it will crash.

Just wanted to follow up on this- you need to download the latest AOP for PowerFlex drives, which is 5.03 for them to work correctly. I did and all is well in v32.

thanks guys for all your valuable information / experiences.
So i think i should go directly to V32 instead of V30 or V31.

Depends on what processor you are using. If you are using a 1756-L80 or 5069 CompactLogix, v32 firmware is available. It is not availabe for 1756-L70 or 1769 processors.

Bug Fixes...and then some...

rupej said:
I skipped v31 and went straight to v32. But v32 is basically the same from my understanding- mostly bug fixes.

Like nearly all new major releases there will be "Corrected Anomalies", but quite often that is just a small part of what is contained within a new release. There are lots of new features, enhancements and some changes being rolled out with each of these last few releases and version 32 is no exception in this regard. The following is just a taste of what version 32 has brought to the table...

New Features...

Produce-Consume axis over EtherNet/IP
The produce-consume axis over EtherNet/IP lets users select a produced axis controller type that supports AXIS_CONSUMED tags on a remote chassis to be consumed by one or more axes. Produce-consume axis over EtherNet/IP is available only on CompactLogix 5380, Compact GuardLogix 5380, CompactLogix 5480, ControlLogix 5580, and GuardLogix 5580 controllers.

Function Block Functions
Function Block Functions are similar to Function Block instructions but do not require backing tags, require less memory, execute more quickly, and take up less canvas space in a Function Block Diagram. Function Block functions are available only on CompactLogix 5380, Compact GuardLogix 5380, CompactLogix 5480, ControlLogix 5580, and GuardLogix 5580 controllers.

Data Exchange Toolkit
Users can exchange data files that represent Rockwell Automation devices in the automation system. Use files produced in a tool such as EPLAN Electric P8 or AutoCAD Electrical to create a Logix Designer project file that represents a controller-centric subset of the system.

CIP Security fault codes
New CIP Security fault codes report CIP security session errors.

Ethernet Port Fault minor fault
A new EtherNet/IP data storm fault reports network traffic on an Ethernet port.

...and others...

Enhanced Features...

Kinetix 5700 Regenerative Bus Supply (RBS) support
Kinetix 5700 CIP Safety and CIP Advanced Safety Servo Drives

Updated node limits for safety controllers
The L84ES controller now provides a soft limit for nodes instead of a hard limit.

Use Unicast Connection
To enhance the ability to consume tags from controllers, the Use Unicast Connection check box is always enabled, regardless if the path to the producing controller does or does not cross EtherNet/IP.

Alarm set operation instruction
The Alarm set operation (ASO) instruction provides the ability to execute an operation on an alarm set, and the alarm set propagates the operation to all child alarms. Supported operations include Acknowledge, Reset, Enable, Disable, Unshelve, Suppress, Unsuppress and Reset Alarm Count.

Enhanced auditing is now supported for Function Block Diagrams. Enhanced auditing provides a clearer indication of exactly which elements have changed within a Function Block Diagram routine, offering the same granularity in audit log messages as in the Ladder editor.

Visual indication for wire jumps in Function Block Diagrams
Improved display of wire connections within a Function Block Diagram.

Updated Quick Watch menu and "Close All But This" command
Use the updated Quick Watch menu to quickly create a Quick Watch list that contains all the tags and parameters in an open routine.
Use the new "Close All But This" command to close all tabs except the currently selected tab.

Component tracking supported on 5x80 controllers
Component tracking is now supported on Compact GuardLogix 5380, CompactLogix 5380, CompactLogix 5480, ControlLogix 5580, and GuardLogix 5580 controllers as well as on the previously supported CompactLogix 5370, ControlLogix 5570, Compact GuardLogix 5370, and GuardLogix 5570 controllers.

Online editing of User-Defined Data Type member names
On Compact GuardLogix 5380, CompactLogix 5380, CompactLogix 5480, ControlLogix 5580, and GuardLogix 5580 controllers, members of a User-Defined Data Type can be renamed online when any instantiated tags exits. This reduces the number of scenarios when a project must be taken offline and downloaded to make modifications to data type definitions.

New predefined data types and 64-bit data types to improve range, accuracy, and precision
Added new predefined data types (USINT, UINT, UDINT, ULINT) and 64-bit data types (LINT and REAL) to improve range, accuracy, and precision of user applications and increase productivity. The new data types are applicable to CompactLogix 5380, CompactLogix 5480, and ControlLogix 5580 controllers only.

Compact GuardLogix SIL3/PLe support
The Compact GuardLogix controllers are now supported at the SIL3/PLe safety level.

EDS safety AOP
EDS safety AOP allows 3rd party devices to easily and cost effectively develop Logix Designer device profiles for safety devices.

...and others...

Functional Changes...

Run LED blinking on mode transition

Bit addressing of USINT, UINT, UDINT, ULINT, and LINT is not supported for ONS, OSF, and OSR instructions.

...and others...

There's a good few Corrected Anomalies but also many Known Anomalies. Some of the Known Anomalies may be inherited from previous versions where they have not been corrected yet or they may be new anomalies introduced at v32.

crawler009 said:
...for our new projects we want to go to the Logix L81 CPU...So i think i should go directly to V32 instead of V30 or V31

If intending to use 5580 ControlLogix 1756-L81E they start at firmware revision 29 and up.
If intending to use 5580 GuardLogix 1756-L81ES they start at firmware revision 31 and up.

On the PowerFlex drives and required Add-On Profile (AOP)...

1076273 - PowerFlex Drives Add On Profile (AOP) requirements
Access Level: Everyone

rupej said:
...I have not been able to successfully configure a 525 to have more than the default datalinks...

Yes, this is one of the many issues that Drives AOP v5.03 resolves...

1073130 - PowerFlex Drives: Datalink doesn't show up in the controller tags
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

Last edited:
After having used V32 for several months, I have found a few other items that are very frustrating for long-time users of RSLogix5000/Studio5000:

1) You can no longer drag tag names across tabs - In older versions you could drag a tag name down to the bottom of the screen onto the tab of another open ladder, and the screen would revert into that ladder, and allow you to continue dragging to place the tag anywhere in that ladder.

2) EVERYTHING opens a new tab - It used to be that as you opened tabs, STs, etc, that each new routine would open a new tab. Cross References, and Tag Monitoring Sessions were not included. Once the number of tabs got to be cumbersome, a simple <CTRL><F4> would close all open routines, or all open cross references, etc. Now, there is no way to mass-close anything, and EVERYTHING opens a new tab. The best I could figure out was to right click on one of the tabs and select "Close all but this"

V32 is very nice for ST though... Unfortunately, very few of my customers are ready for ST...