Sunday morning laughs

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
MOqVvCE.jpg

I would not do a surface, the screens cannot be replaced easily.
we have gone through 6 of them in the lase 18 months.

my preference is a laptop with a minimum of 500 GB solid state drive, 8 GB ram minimum, Windows7 (cant get that any more), so windows 10.

install vmplayer and create virtual machines with 30-60GB drives.
install ab plc software on one vm, siemens on another (I have been told by an oem that ab and siemens don't play well together), scada software on another.

my personal home laptop is a Toshiba, 17 1/2" screen, 24GB ram, 1 TB solid state drive, vm player with multiple vm's for ab software, rsview, and wonderware.

At work, we use Dell latitude laptops. they have windows 7 pro on them.

james

I would not do a surface, the screens cannot be replaced easily.
we have gone through 6 of them in the lase 18 months.

my preference is a laptop with a minimum of 500 GB solid state drive, 8 GB ram minimum, Windows7 (cant get that any more), so windows 10.

install vmplayer and create virtual machines with 30-60GB drives.
install ab plc software on one vm, siemens on another (I have been told by an oem that ab and siemens don't play well together), scada software on another.

my personal home laptop is a Toshiba, 17 1/2" screen, 24GB ram, 1 TB solid state drive, vm player with multiple vm's for ab software, rsview, and wonderware.

At work, we use Dell latitude laptops. they have windows 7 pro on them.

james

I agree I have a surface as a travel machine, i hate it with a passion, weird resolution, strange aspect ratio, the keyboard is wobbly to type on, its a pain to use on your lap with the flip out stand, i never use the touchscreen functions (Windows 10 is no iOS despite years of MS trying)

Surprisingly enough, it had nothing to do with me. Can't expect everyone to share my awesome sense of humor, though.

As far as the surface, it just doesn't suit my needs. Until they make a notebook form factor tablet that I can use just like a notebook...I'll use a notebook. I like the feel.

As far as the surface, it just doesn't suit my needs. Until they make a notebook form factor tablet that I can use just like a notebook...I'll use a notebook. I like the feel.

They make a wide variety of Surface PC ranging from notebooks to full laptops (without a removable keyboard). For work, I have a Surface Laptop and love it. The keyboard is solid and has very good feedback (which is something you don't really think about until you have a good one) and the touch pad mouse works very well as does the separate mouse if you get one. I like the option (not specific to Surface) of having both a mouse and a touch screen as well as the pen (which is MS specific) which works well when I'm using Visio to make drawings. Having said all of that, it really is a preference thing and I didn't think I'd like the Surface but again, I love it.
As to Windows 10, that is a "Ford Vs. Chevy" argument. I have been using it for a few years now and wouldn't go back. I find it works well with all of the Rockwell Software that I use with the exception of when an update screws up RSLinx and/or CCW. However, give how complicated operating systems are these days and how much they actually do, I'm impressed there aren't more problems more often. It's all "1's and 0's" but there are a lot of 1's and 0's and getting them all to play nice together is no small task.
By the way, I didn't get the joke :unsure: