Automation Direct works just as good as the AB slc500

bbseay

Well after 6 months of manufacturing a new machine and converting a program from allen bradley slc 5/03 to automation direct dl205 with the d2-260 processor, I have come to the conclusion that the automation direct products are as good if not better than allen bradley. I have been told numerous times that the allen bradley is more ROBUST than the AD. Well scan times are almost exactly the same. The main thing I like is the $2,000.00 savings. Is there something coming down the road that I should be aware of? Is AD to good to be true? EVERYTHING SEEMS GREAT.

Billy Seay

Our company has been using AD equipment as a default controller for some time now with no regrets.

But AB has its place. If the plant already mainly has AB equipment it would be to their advantage to stick with it to minimize the stocking of different parts and maintaining new software.

If the plant has massive networking needs with SCADA etc then I feel that the whole AB communication hierarchy system is much more evolved that AD. AB also has the advantage in large scale control implementations and motion control. I would think twice before trying to duplicate these systems with AD.

Billy, there are opinions a plenty on this site but you know as well as most, you get what you pay for. Also, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Now, with the cliche' barrage over with, the only thing I really know about the AD stuff is that most people who use them, like them a lot. Early on I have heard there were some operating system booboos in some of the units, but I really have no first hand knowledge myself. I figure if you like them and can work effectively with them, more power to you and the price break sure does not hurt either. JMTC

randylud said:
.... you get what you pay for. Also, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I think AD is able to sell for less by eliminating the distributor mark-up - in essence a different marketing model provides the savings, not lower quality. This local support is what you are giving up.

If you need local support, then go for another brand. However, in my experience the factory delivery and tech support meets or beats most local distributor's efforts.

If you are a new user, without a strong background and experience in PLCs and controls in general, then you definitely need the face to face contact and application assistance that a local distributor can provide. If you are experienced, confident, and have a few automation projects under your belt, then you miss very little by going with a direct marketing approach like AD's.

I'd have to agree with Tom an all points.

There's no doubt that the AD marketing model is a big factor in the end cost of the product. Actually the web-based system is what attracts me most. My time is also worth something, and it saves me a LOT of time, (both in support & ordering).

As far as tech support, I'm much happier to get someone on the phone NOW then have someone visit my site tomarrow or the day after the crisis.

As far as quality goes, I've had far fewer problems with AD equipment then some others. However most of all equipment failures have been due to human error.

As far as local stock goes, part of the cost savings could be use to stock extra/replacement components yourself. But their likely to get dusty, so remember to rotate stock.

As far as DirectSoft goes, it does lack some sophistication, however the learning curve is short, there's nothing you cannot do (might be a longer road though), and the price is right.

My say.

Alaric said:
The SLC is a great PLC, but it is the bottom dweller in the AB PLC line. AD has nothing at all like the CLX.

That is not a fair comparison, who does have something like the CLX? The CLX is basically new and I am sure it can not compete with the number of SLCs used. It may in the future but by then who knows what Koyo will develop, they arent exactly new in this field.

This field is diverse and offers many options to be used based on needs. I worked in a plant that was couple hundred yards from the plant Jay Anthony started using Omron in but my plant did not have any Omron. It did have a multitude of GE Series One/AD and AB etc etc. I state this to show the diversity in the industry.

The AD units are simple, reliable and cost effective units. Think about it...Mike builds elevators using them, can you think of a device that requires more reliability?

For every ONE of you that work on million dollar projects, there are 1000s of us that work on $500 to $50000 projects where cost and time are a major factor. AD is simple to learn and has the fastest delivery of ANY company I have ever dealt with...at age 52 I have dealt with quite a few companies over the years.

I can agree with the statement AD work good as AB.
You can do almost every thing with AD that you can do with AB.
The quastion how long it going to take you to do it.
Which platform is the best for your application?
When it come to simple project and I not talking on number of I/O. Iam talking about the complication of the application,now you have to think twice.
My bigest problem with AD is the DirectSoft.
1.There is no ability to divide the code to separate files.How to navigate in 1k rungs?
I know I can open some windows at ones but it "like" the real thing.
2.Math, when you have lot of math its much simple to work with function like COMPUT then to build lot of rungs.
3.Data trace you must open data window every time
ect.
4.No on-line edits

From other end,Cost

I just got order for system with 400 I/O and 40 analogs,The budget is 300 PLC programing hours.
I checked price with AD AB and Omron 3 brands which I familiar with.
The customer would not have any preference only cost,From other side I had to chose what the best for me as programmer.
AB was the most expensive (SLC)
Omron Was about 50% then AB (CJ1)
AD was 20% cheaper then Omron (205).

I chosed Omron,The idea of download every change of all of this code was my major factor.I think I will save the difference in time,and my customer benefit is update system(CJ1 is new product) with the best programming software on market.(according to my opinion).

I just want to add this about ControlLogix.

I have 7 different ControlLogix projects to implement. My local AB dealer has been excellent with tech help. I dont even see him, hes 300km away. Honestly ControlLogix has beent the EASIEST PLC I have had to configure from scratch. Im not even using most of the high level features but they are there if I need them.

The only gripe is the firmware program you have to run when you get a new CPU out of the box but that software runs fine.

Authoug the poll is not "scientific", it's about what I would expect. However I'm somewhat suprised to see AD in 3rd and ahead of GE.

Taking into account PLCdirect/AD, is rather new to the game, (abut 12 years or so). So the poll actually indicates that they have made great progress in that time.

I've loved AD since I started working with them in 1998. DirectSoft has its problems, but its come a long way in the last couple of years and version 5 should be out soon which from all reports will make it a lot more robust, especially on math.

From an ordering stand point I love that I can get on their web site, spend 10 minutes to order parts for 25 control panels, and have them tomorrow morning. None of the local suppliers here could do that... It would be a 30 minute phone call (at best) and a minimum week delivery (if not two). To keep my local customers happy I just carry some inventory of PLC parts, with the AD pricing I can afford to have parts for a couple of complete control panels just laying around. For customers that I'd have to ship to anyway we can drop ship the parts directly from AD and know they will be at the customer's door the next morning.

From a tech support side I love that they LISTEN. They're easy to get a hold of, but the biggest difference (to me anyway) is that they'll actually listen to my issue and what I've tried to correct it before starting to spout off 'solutions'... The few times when the tech I got on the phone couldn't help me they connected me with the engineer that designed X, Y, or Z part.

OK, enough ranting about the greatness of AD. Oh and just for the side note, yes there is a whole lot that the AD won't do or won't do gracefully that you can do with AB, etc.

Many the more people that vote, might be the numbers no true. Basically it's people that have visited and granted, not everyone online that reads these forums and vote is the "industry"...well said.
I am not sure what this means?
I am not saying that MrPLC survey represents the industry, I am merely saying that the industry views are consistent with the results of this survey. AB commands over 50% market share in the U.S. and rightly so.

From an ordering stand point I love that I can get on their web site, spend 10 minutes to order parts for 25 control panels, and have them tomorrow morning. None of the local suppliers here could do that... It would be a 30 minute phone call (at best) and a minimum week delivery (if not two). To keep my local customers happy I just carry some inventory of PLC parts, with the AD pricing I can afford to have parts for a couple of complete control panels just laying around

I agree with you. Distributors are in general pretty much useless
and in fact they create a drag on projects.
If Dell can sell their gear over the web and be number 1 in the world I don't see why automation couldn't be sold the same way.
I have seen lots of useless distributors in my time and
as far as I am concerned you could do away with most of them.

Jiri Toman said:
I am not sure what this means?
I am not saying that MrPLC survey represents the industry, I am merely saying that the industry views are consistent with the results of this survey. AB commands over 50% market share in the U.S. and rightly so.

I think you mis-understood. I said "well said", meaning it was a good point you made.