You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old August 10th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #1
MHennel
United States

TIA Portal v13 download to TP700

I am currently trying to download an updated program to a Siemens TP700 using TIA portal v13. I am trying to do this through a VPN connection from my office to a job site. The TP700 does not show up as an accessible device, although I can ping it. I originally downloaded the program while I was onsite, but now need to make an update. I have confirmed that the correct port numbers are open in the VPN. I have been able to update an older version HMI panel using WinCC flex 2008 sp3 over this same VPN connection. Any suggestions as to what the issue may be?
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #2
mk42
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

You need to make sure you are downloading via Ethernet, not via Profinet (PN/IE). This setting needs to match in the control panel of the TP700 and the download window of WinCC.

The PN service is great for downloading on the local network, and especially for the initial setup of equipment. It is capable of searching the HW on the local network, and identifying compatible equipment there. You have the option to flash LED's on the equipment to ensure that you have selected the correct equipment. However, the downside is that it can only search or download to the LOCAL network. Profinet is not a routable protocol, because it operates at layer 2 instead of layer 3 of the network. Most VPN systems only allow for Layer 3 access.

The Ethernet download method, however, uses standard TCP/IP and can be routed to a distant system though a VPN. The downside is that you need to know the exact IP address of the target panel. Once the system is set up the first time, this is usully true. Everything should match what you have configured in the project.

I usually use the PN/IE downloads as I am first commissioning a cell, and then I switch to the Ethernet driver if I expect to do any remote commissioning later on.
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #3
MHennel
United States

Thanks for the feedback I will give that a try
Old August 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #4
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

Deselect the "show compatible devices" in the transfer dialog.
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #5
MHennel
United States

Thanks for the replies, using the suggestions I have been able to connect to and update the TP700's
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum