Schneider Electric M340/NOE0100 with RedLion E3-16ISOTC

frajosi

Hello to all,
I´m new to the forum and looking for some help to setup an Schneider Electric M340- NOE0100 together with an RedLion E3-16ISOTC. In a view words I would like to use the I/O Scanner of the NOE to read the thermoelements connected to the RedLion E3 Module. Has someone some knowledge for the combination? I`m struggling to setup the I/O Scanner correct to read the analogue inputs 1-16 of the E3 Module.

Kind regards,
Frank

The NOE IOScanning only supports reading 4x holding registers from devices. What modbus registers does the Red Lion present it's analog inputs in? (In not familiar with this Red Lion device). Do you need to do some mapping in the red lion?

Attach some screenshots of your Crimson 3 configuration and your NOE IO scanner configuration.

Good Morning Saffa,
you nailed it. "What modbus registers does the Red Lion present it's analog inputs in?" That's my question as well. I worked thru the manuals of the RedLion E3 Module but I could not find any helpful information to this regards.

Frank

RedLion.jpg

OK, it looks like you are out of luck for using I/O scanning. The register mapping is fixed, with your analogs in 3x registers. IOScanner can only read 4x registers, see attached from the manual for the E3.

So, you will need to use the READ_VAR function block in Unity / Control Expert to do this task. It's more cumbersome than I/O scanning but unfortunately I can't really see any other option without adding a gateway device like a Red Lion Data Station or something like that, to give you 4x registers.

Take a look at the READ_VAR example here, if you haven't used it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhkIQCOyxjo

I always execute my READ_VAR block using a message timer, which is triggered after a "completed" message, as indicated in the status report word. I have another watchdog timer that re-fires the READ_VAR block regardless of the message timer after 30 seconds, as I have seen the READ_VAR block get stuck before.

Make sure to set a timeout value in the parameter array passed to READ_VAR or it sits indefinitely after a failed message. They explain this in the video I think.

E3 Modbus Addresses.PNG

Hi Saffa, I will try and post the outcome. Are any limitation of how many READ_VAR blocks I can use. e.g. performance of PLC or restriction of how many?

Kind regards,
Frank

With the ethernet channel you can probably fire off several reads / writes at a time. I have had at least 4 running concurrently on independent timers without any issue. Only limitation is application / data memory for the blocks and data variables.

If you were gonna have 10 or more I'd sequence them using a state machine so they don't all fire concurrently.

Did you manage to read the variables you need?

Hi Saffa,
thanks for the info. I did not manage to read the variables. Please find att. my last try. Still not sure if the configuration of the read_var is correct. I was able verify that the target device is connected (Ping by debugging section in NOE). Please find in add. some infos I received from RedLion Support in the meantime. In addition I tried to read out the communication report of the read_var (gest) see the Pic read_var. If you have any further Ideas I am happy for support.

Kind regards,
Frank

read_var.JPG Modbus Map RL.JPG functioncode is 3 for the AI.JPG

Hi Frank,

The text on the OBJ pin of the READ_VAR should be '%IW' for 3x registers (IEC notation). '%MW' is for 4x Registers.

CAT_1_GEST should be connected to both the GEST in and out pins of the READ_VAR block, otherwise the block won't write the outcome of the message attempt and you won't see the operation report or communication report bits in word 2.

In the Animation Table, modify CAT_1_GEST[3] to be a value of say 20... which equals 2000ms (timebase of 100ms) - thats the timeout value before giving up the message execution. When set to zero, it waits indefinitely (dumb). Toggle Start_read_var to attempt again.

Your ADDM address looks OK, I normally use the rack.module.channel notation but looking at helpfile as long as you have that netlink specified correctly, you should be OK.

Try that and see how you go.

I'm away on a "Fun" out of town job for a few days and will have limited access to the internet, hopefully Lare or Chud or one of the other Schneider gurus (which I'm definitely not!) can chime in and help, or correct me.

Hi,
I did the changes to the read-var but unfortunately without success. Please find att. the current situation.

@ Saffa,
have a safe trip.

Kind regards,
Frank

read_var_Rev2.JPG

Hi Frank,

I assume you set start_read_var to 1 again, after making the changes?

The first word of the CAT_1_GEST array has the same value as your last post, this should change to a different number for each transmission attempt. Maybe try zero'ing this value, the second word of the array, and then set start_Read_var to 1 again.

The Operations Report byte tells you a lot, once you have a recent transmission. Check the Unity / Control expert help file for management parameters for Read_var, for what the different codes mean. In your example, a value of 7(hex) means "Problem in sending to the destination". Now that might have been for the first message you ever tried. We want to make sure that its still valid, so you want to see a different number in CAT_1_GEST[1] other than 17408 then you know the block has done something.

I would personally try changing the ADDM address format to 0.1.0{IP address}, assuming your NOE card is in slot 1 (slot 0 being the processor).

This is always a bit painful, then once it works... whoo hoo! the rest becomes easy.

Yeah,
you right pretty painful exercise.

Please find att. read_var_Rev3 and 4. I did a couple of times start and stop the read_var. I think it happen accidently that the same roling number get captured.
I tried the different ADDM format but again without luck.
I have a Meeting next week with RedLion support, not sure if we have to setup anything special at the E3 Module before it will communicate with M340 / NOE0100.

Kind regards,
Frank

read_var_Rev3.jpg read_var_Rev4.JPG

Hey Frank,

Can you show me a screenshot of how your PLC rack is laid out, showing processor, NOE etc? Your ADDM addressing suggests a processor, another card and then the NOE if it's 0.2.0

But If you're not confident about the red Lion setup then maybe we should start there first...

If it's the first time I'm using a modbus device then I'd normally try talk to it with my laptop first using Modscan32.

Once i know that is working then i go back to the PLC...

Modscan32 can be downloaded for free (just Google) and runs in trial mode for 10 minutes or so each time you open it.

Id suggest using that, or some other modbus tcp client tool, to confirm the red Lion device is working as expected and you can read values.

Hi Saffa, I think by asking this :
Can you show me a screenshot of how your PLC rack is laid out, showing processor, NOE etc? Your ADDM addressing suggests a processor, another card and then the NOE if it's 0.2.0

You refer to Pic read_var_Rev4 on the left hand side you can see the setup. If not just let me know. I will follow your suggestion and will try Modscan first.

kind regards, Frank

Hi everyone,
with modscan64 it is indicating the registers. See att. pictures, for me it looks like it is still the read_var configuration which is causing the trouble. Any Ideas how to configure that read_var correct?

Kind regards,
Frank

Modscan64_tool.JPG